Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waxworms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jantus
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Waxworms Reply with quote

Hey everyone...
Do you guy's have waxworms in the UK and if so what do you use when mailing to customers so that the worms cant escape cause they can chew through plastic, cardboard, wood etc???
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
we get waxworms over here, they are normally packing in small plastic tubs with a few wood shavings in there (no food).

these tend to be useless for feeding as they contain no goodness in them (as the waxworm has used it all up in the journey). The best waxies are those that you get still in the honey and flour mix.

What price are they in S.A, here they are about £2 per tub of 25 (ish)
Jantus
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One worm costs 50 cents(South African) so for 2 pounds
(about 12 Rand/Pound) youd get 48 worms but their not very common here yet theres only one waxworm breeder that I know of in S.A..
I also wanted to ask and I know it has nothing to do with waxworms but how would you go about importing reptiles from say the UK and is it possible to import animals without them having to stay in the airports quarentine for a couple of weeks???

P.S. Sorry that im mixing all my questions up like this...
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jantus wrote:
One worm costs 50 cents(South African) so for 2 pounds
(about 12 Rand/Pound) youd get 48 worms but their not very common here yet theres only one waxworm breeder that I know of in S.A..
I also wanted to ask and I know it has nothing to do with waxworms but how would you go about importing reptiles from say the UK and is it possible to import animals without them having to stay in the airports quarentine for a couple of weeks???

P.S. Sorry that im mixing all my questions up like this...

Hi,
Not sure what your laws are for S.A but there are no quaranteen laws for reptiles in the UK. So long as the reptile is not covered by CITES, we are allowed to import them and then basically collect from the airport. If they were covered by CITES then I would need an export permit and you would need an import permit.

Best thing to do is log on to http://www.cites.org/common/directy/s/south_africa.html and then ask them how they operate.

good luck
Jantus
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott.
I'll contact them and find out.
Thanks again for the help.

Jantus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: