Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heat transfer in viv stack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattie
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Heat transfer in viv stack Reply with quote

im cosidering ordering a stack of melamime vivs, each unit will be heated by a ceramic , im concerned the heat from the ceramic will tranfer to the viv above giving me less control over temps (the top of one viv will be the base of the other) would be interested too know how others have got around this problem Question

cheers Cool
Buddhaboa
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there mattie,

That is a good question and not only effects melamine vivs but racks (even professionally built racks).

My first question is do you heat the room (what do you keep your ambi temperatures at)?

I have several racks and many vivs in a heated room that is kept at 79-81 F. My racks are heated with heat tape and the heat tape is set at 93 or so. This gives me a hot spot on the racks of 90 (due to the thickness of substrate and the heat dispersion from the heat tape). It gives me a cool spot of 82 or so - just a bit higher than the ambi temperature.

On the lower vivs (basically only the lower first or second level) they are controlled by a second thermostat. So I have a set of vivs and racks that are 6 units tall. The first 2 bottom units are controlled by one thermostat. The top 4 are controlled by a second. What you typically will see if the thermo on the bottom units runs more often than the top (due to the heat rising and keeping the tops warm).

However I still have perfect control over the racks and vivs. My breeders are now mating in the breeder racks and the hotspot there is turned down to 84. The cool spot is 82. And the air temp is 80. Thus I can control each rack or viv unit separately and the units have a seperation of 2 levels (to control heat gradiants).

let me know if you have any questions or if that was not so clear.

cheers,

Kris
garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same thing happening with my triple stacks. As long as each vivarium has its own thermostat, there shouldnt be a problem!

Not for me anyway Smile

Gary

http://www.sitewonders.co.uk
gary@sitewonders.co.uk
mattie
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Cool so as long as I have a stat controllin each level I should be fine? i have found pulse stats will keep the heat at a constant low level, when compared to dimmer and on/off stats, which is a bonus, if I do have a problem I will consider hanging the ceramic holders by a chain rather than having it screw directly too the viv roof

thanks guys Cool
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 levels of monitors vivs, each with a spot bulb to heat the cage. Each level is controlled by a separate stat, 4 stats control 25 vivs.

I find that the bottom level is still a little cold on the substrate temp, air temp fine, basking temp fine but overall substrate is perhaps a little too cold. These guys tend to bask more than the other levels.

If I were to redo the stacks I would add heat cable or pads under the bottom level just to bring the base temp up to a hotter temp, nothing too great but just to ensure there is no 'chill' of the substrate.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: