Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gila care
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liability insurance is a total farce (never been a claim against a dwa reptile keeper, yet premiums are expensive).

Most people use Exotic Direct, I have a special policy written in to my home insurance specifically for my DWA liability. This isn't a standard practice and my insurers did say it was a 'one off' for me as we put a lot of business there way.

You really need to just phone round. Out of interest, if your dog was to bite someone (which is 1000's of times more likely than a gila), you home insurance would normally cover you at NO extra cost, go figure that!
Herpetology-Exchange
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I dont keep them and to be honest dont wish to keep them but its does interest me how to keep them as they are another animal that is considered to be a keep it dry and hot animal which is a misconception as in most cases is wrong

if they are as Scott states then they have much in common With ackies in terms of spending time in humid holes in the ground yet basking a lot of the time and again with ackies they will be happiest when basking does not mean they have to sit on display hence why stacks are popular choices often they will bask mainly in the level belfow the top so as to only need to venture to the top as they Need to and most of the time stay seclueded, I allways make sure the bottom level of my stacks for my ackies are in sand which I allways make sure stays humid at the base and I have far fewer problems with ackies that seem to be in a permanant state of shed which i associate with them not having access to the ideal humidity requirements I also allways have a cermic hide in the viv in a corner that stays humid under

anyway just thoguht it was similar sorry to ramble
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus Gila's are most often seen in the wild after rain or a big storm Confused
photographymatt
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of helpful info scott et al so far:-) What size viv/enclosure would you recommend for a single gila?

thank you
matt H
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2ft by 18" would be fine although bigger makes things easier for you.
photographymatt
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as I love your pics of your gilas...do you have any photos that show their setups?Smile

do gila get agrophobic? would to big a viv be as bad as too small?or give him/her the biggest I can make room for?

regards
matt H
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Matt,
not really got any good photos of their set ups. the photo below shows the racking they are in sometimes, these tubs have corncob substrate and a water dish, nothing else.

The glass vivs are used too, they also just have a water dish and corncob substrate with a piece of cork bark to hide under

photographymatt
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a lovely looking setup mate. Shall have to change that for you in the near future mate (having no good photos of your reptiles setups) Very Happy
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its alot bigger than that Matt..photo doesn't do it justice!Nice pic Scott.. Smile
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Its alot bigger than that Matt..photo doesn't do it justice!Nice pic Scott.. Smile

no where big enough though! Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: