Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

adders in scotland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomas mcpherson
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: adders in scotland Reply with quote

I have been of forest walk in Scotland that suppose to have adders been reports that people have seen them and do not see them i went more than once and in spring and summer i think that i did not look in the right places where should i look? where would they hide? are they really easy to find or not?
lol93
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to see loads of them down in New Galloway. They seemed to prefer pine forests, and often could be seen basking on top of dry stane dykes by the side of the road.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are very difficult to spot until you have 'switched on' to them, then you can see them quite easy. If you walk with your shadow in front of you that often reaches them first and they hide before you get to see them.

Try and find a location that you know 100% has them, also real hot days aren't great unless you get there early (they don't need to bask if it's a hot summers day).

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
slippery42
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Adders in Scotland Reply with quote

Adders are found across much of mainland Scotland though they are absent from some islands.

The best time to search for them is April though you need to avoid disturbing them whilst they are still near hibernacula.

Although some adders are still active this month it is likely that some will already have go down.

If you are out looking for adders try not to let Joe public know what you are doing as there still is considerable fear and loathing which leads to persecution i.e. adder bashing.

Having been involved in a lot of adder work over the years it is well noted that many populations are declining and even in good areas they are getting harder to find.

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
thomas mcpherson
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys i hope i have better luck next year
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

channel 4 4.45 next sunday wild thing i think i love you
brititish adders and reptiles .worth a watch i think

jezz wrote:
I dont understand SteveL's sarcasm dohhh
slippery42
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: adders Reply with quote

Yes that should be a good one.......Hope he doesn't cover the subject in the same way I did for a program which goes out on BBC1 in January

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: