Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vivarium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_dave_
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Vivarium Reply with quote

Right im building a vivarium to house roughly UP to 12 9L Really Usefull Boxes, heatmats will be run accross the back wall to supply the boxes with a basking spot..

but i want to know what is the best method of getting the ambient temps 100% correct for royal pythons, something i can run on a stat maybe, i mean if i have lights, the top tubs will be hotter than the bottoms etc so i am a bit curious of how i could do it..

4x3x1.5ft is the size i want
i prob wont have 12 9L tubs in there, but when they get to 50ltr tubs ill have 3 or 6, however many i can get in there.. just until i can build some racking and sort out the rooms ambient temp.. i only have 2 9L boxes now, so what can i do

Dave
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just build a rack?..heatmats don't radiate heat very well so I would have the heatmats under the tubs.
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because the ambient temperature in the room is cold, rather than me buying a standalone heater/radiator thing, which will cost roughly 40quid a month to run, i could build a viv and conseal the heat inside.. maybe the mats will generate enough ambient heat after providing the tubs with a basking spot.
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Be interested to see how you do it I must admit.Can't see how you will get a decent gradient if you are heating a viv full of tubs...My room isn't the warmest but never had any probs using heatstrips on a pulse stat set under a third of the contico.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Heat pads do not work on back of vivs unless you have Geckos etc which stick to wall etc. They may supplement underbox heat pads mats.
Have a look at www.winracks.com amd http://pro-racks.com/index.htm
and do search on this forum for racks. in particular look at scots home made racks.
Best of all buy the complete ball python by Kevin McCuley and the ball python manual by vosjoli.
Everyone uses the under box heat system. If use a melamine wood rack it will help keep them warm.
Also use polystyrene tiles(b&Q)> tape these to shelf, then tape heatmat to polystyrene, then put box on heatmat. When I built my rack, it increased the temp considerably by adding the tiles.
IMPORTANT, make sure probe for thermostat is very well secure and fitted so it does not fluctuate to much with ouside box air temp. I usually cover probe with black insulation tape, sticking it to the heatmat between boxes. If it comes off on avery hot day you could frazzle your snakes.
Also it is a good idea to use a few thermostats. If one goes wrong and it is controling 8 boxes, The potentail for disaster is far greater than useing it to control a couple of boxes.
hope makes you think and gives some ideas
mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: