Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice Please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garagegirl84
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Advice Please! Reply with quote

Hi,
I was wondering if you could give me some advise about a Veiled Chameleon, She is about 1.5 yrs old. I have only had her a few days as the woman who had her before couldn't and didn't have the time to look after her. She seems a little thin and is only eating around 2 or three crickets a day, she wont touch any veg because she's never had it before. She also seems a little shaky when she walks, her back legs seem slightly fat at the lower half and the woman who has her before didn't give her any kind of supplements so I think that she could have Metabolic Bone Disorder. It hasn't effected her anywhere else just her back legs. Her eyes also look a little sunken. I also think that she could be gravid as she seems to be blueish in colour with yellow moon shapes on her, which I know is a sign. However she doesn't spend much time at all at the bottom of her cage but I have put in a nest box anyway. I don't think she is really drinking and have set up a drip system but she doesn't seem to take any of it so I'm getting her a small rodent bottle today so that I can try to give her water by hand. I have got her set-up correct with right temp, humidity, good climbing places, she is sprayed about 4 times a day and I am supplementing her food. I want to improve her quality of life as much as I can and I wanted to know if you could give me any advise on anything I can do for this.
I have contacted a reptile vet in my area also but I am waiting for him to get back to me.
Hopefully you will be able to get back to me about this as I am very worried. Sad
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest it sounds like you have everything in hand, are you able to post up a photo of her?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
garagegirl84
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My camera isn't working at the moment but I will try and take some pics on my mobile and post them. Hopefully you will be able to let me know what you think, which would be great
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you borrow someones camera?

Rick

beardie barmy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do her legs look like this if so she has defiantly got mbd this female was to far gone she died but all her legs was shaking as you said and she could not grip her trees or plants. i just hope that she can come through i gave mine shots of liquid calcium but it was far beyond repair Sad
garagegirl84
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I will try to borrow someones camera. Yeh her legs do look like that, I did see that pic and thats what I compared her legs to. Im going to try and help her as much as I can and I might try liquid calcium, that sounds a good idea
brittone05
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her sunken eyes could point to dehydration. I read that taking their plant with them on it and placing it in the shower on a mild flow, tepid water.

This should encourage her to drink a little bit.

I really hope you get a happy ending with this little one Smile Smile
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she has got MBD calcium deficiency, I would use a Zoomed reptisun 10% UV in her viv, also as you are doing continue with the calcium supplements. if it is MBD lets hope her condition is not advanced. As Brit said if her eyes are sunken she needs rehydrating and very quickly. Good luck with her.

lol93
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showering is great for chams. Mine gets a shower once a week for about 20 mins each time, and he gulps the water down. Make sure the water is lukewarm, sit your cham on a plant half in-half out of the spray. That way she can choose if she wants to sit in the flow or not. She will probably be a bit scared at first, but bear with it and she will soon love it. For a first try, 10 mins is probably enough.

Good luck with her-sounds like you're doing all the right things! Smile
garagegirl84
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just a little update on my new Cham. Well I was right about the Metabolic Bone Disorder! I took her to the vets and he x-rayed her she was full of eggs that she couldnt calcify and pass because she had had such a lack of calcium and she had broken all of her legs in the past because of lack of calcium! The vet has removed all the undeveloped eggs and her ovaries and we are hopeful that her legs will strengthen in time. All this and Ive only had her a week, cant believe that people just neglect animals like this Mad well Im looking after her now and I pick her up from the vets tomorrow.
Thanks for all your advise everyone and I will let you know how her recovery goes, fingers crossed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: