Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A bit of help please...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatBoy
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: A bit of help please... Reply with quote

It looks like I'm taking on a terrapin until I can find a suitable home to relocate it to. All I know is that the woman has had it 11 years, and can no longer care for it. I haven't been out to see it yet, so can't provide any more info. I did kinda get the impression that if couldn't find a home for it, then another terrapin would find it's way into our river system.

What I need is a general run down on their husbandry. I have read conflicting accounts of what they need...some say UV, some say they don't require it. Basking and water temps have had quite a range too, as has diet and regularity of feeding.

So basically just a quick summary of their needs, and I'll build on it from there.
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross, do you know what species it is mate?

Generally speaking, water of a depth that it can poke its nose out whilst its feet touch the bottom, a haul out area with a basking lamp and UV also.

That`s the very basics.

I used to feed mine out of the set up in a washing up bowl or similar as they are such messy feeders that the tank would need daily cleaning otherwise. All the same some filtration is a very good idea. Wink
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
FatBoy
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did ask what species it was, she responded with...there's more than one species? Laughing So until I get out next week, I won't know. She did say that it's quite big, what she means by that is anyone's guess.

The lamp and UV aren't a problem. I will have to have a wee search around the net for a tank...what size would you recommend? Space is an issue, but as said, hopefully it's only temporary.

I have quite a large and tall tub that I used to grow juve carpets in, so that will do for feeding...what did you feed yours, and how regular were you with feeding?

Thanks for the help! Very Happy
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again the diet varies somewhat from species to species, but most will eat white bait, small fish, insects, pinkies, some species eat a little vegetation, some go mad for pond snails.

You can supplement it with turtle sticks, king british do a good brand but it does not constitute a complete diet to my mind.

They do make one hell of a mess when feeding though!

Odds on favourite for the species you have will be the red eared slider from America , Trachemys scripta elegans. This is by far the most commonly seen species in captivity and can get to quite a size, 12" easily, often bigger.
www.btcvcymru.org
FatBoy
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the help Peter!

I'll see if she can send me over a photo so I can identify it. I would be inclined to agree that it's probably a red ear...we do have a rather healthy wild population of them in Glasgow's rivers, canals and ponds.
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes As we do here!
www.btcvcymru.org
FatBoy
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually surprised that nobody collects them for the pet trade. Laughing

The bad thing being that on a recent wee trip I saw babies and some bloody big adults, so even our harsh climate in Scotland seem to be suitable breeding ground for them. Parasites of the reptile world it seems. Rolling Eyes
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I wouldn`t have thought previously that the climate here would have suited egg incubation . After this Summer and what you have said though, maybe not.

Beautiful animals, but potentially very destructive of native amphibian, insect and fish life.
www.btcvcymru.org
FatBoy
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's the thing. Going by average temperature for all terrapin species, the UK in general and Scotland and Northern Ireland in particular shouldn't have a climate in which they can survive, let alone breed. In theory with our average summer temps and bloody freezing winters, they should all be dead...but they're not. Then again they have strong breeding populations in Canada, and their climate is very similar to ours. Let's just hope it's not grey squirrel syndrome again. Neutral

It would be fascinating to find out what happens in winter when our ponds are prone to freezing over.
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that they would be buried deep in leaf litter and soil by then, on the banks surrounding the water and below the frost line.
www.btcvcymru.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: