Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

few Gila photos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragon Breeder
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you handle them easily, do they bite a lot? or are they quite calm and safe to handle, well not safe because they are venomous you obviously need to be careful but can you handle them,??
Erik
8.10.11 + 14 eggs Cape House Snake
0.2.1 Leopard Gecko
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overall very easy to handle but that can lead you into a false sense of security though and they can sweep round and bite in an instant (much like a gator)

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
overall very easy to handle but that can lead you into a false sense of security though and they can sweep round and bite in an instant (much like a gator)

Never kept them but have obseved Scott dealing with them when we have been taking photos of them and they are very misleading..they can be lightning quick!
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i like them but need a dwa license once things are sorted out a bit I'm applying for a license n keeping rhino vipers n these
Erik
8.10.11 + 14 eggs Cape House Snake
0.2.1 Leopard Gecko
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are some really nice animals Scott, you must be very happy with them.

I have never worked with Gilas but we have CB H.h.exasperatum at work and they came in at about 250g each and I recon the Male is now about 2kg 3 years later( and I wouldn't call him fat). The female is considerably more "docile" than the male, but everything is relative Laughing
They are lightning fast, very strong and would never consider free handling them at all, they are properly necked when necessary. I have even seen babies striking out of the egg, the head was the only part out of the egg and while putting the top back on the egg box the little bugger struck and hit the top. When asked why I love reptiles so much I often give the answer that they are "good to go" the second they are born, happy to give fight to anything that tries, regardless to the size of the threat.

Having said all this about not free handling them, historically many people of the Old School handled Gilas, not seen any with Beaded though, and I guarantee there were a few accidents along the way. One thing I have heard about deaths from Heloderms was that death can be caused by shock from the pain of the bite, apparently the venom composition is very good at this.
I love feeding them, the sound of the mouse skull bones crushing is pretty impressive, so no, its not worth the risk getting bitten Very Happy I know of someone who received a tiny bite/scratch from a Gila and the envenomation sounded similar to an adder bite, so a full-on bite and hold and chew is not going to be much fun. Shocked

Al
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Al, yep I love the gilas, they are one of my favorite species to keep.

Do you work at Jersey zoo? I remeber seeing gilas there in open displays in the big greenhouse, also beadeds.

I must confess having a gila easily reachable to the public with no security is very tempting Wink Didn't the HSE have any comments about the safety side of having a venomous lizard accesible?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott,
indeed I do, been here for the last 4/5 years.
That must have been some years ago, nothing like that now, the Beadeds are going on display soon, but nowhere near the public Razz
Jersey is only just catching up with H&S, we only got employment law in line with the UK this year! Shocked
A
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry my mistake Embarassed it was at Paignton zoo Laughing

I was impressed overall with Jersey, nice layout and good displays.

Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dude, it has a great history, some very big shoes to fill esp. in herps.
A
iriechris
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beadeds are now on display and are looking amazing, and if u ask me Al u are doing a ausum job filling those shoes! lol Cool

Varanus 0.0.1
Rhacodactylus 1.0.0
Uromastyx 1.1.0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: