Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glass doors - 4mm?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaida
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Glass doors - 4mm? Reply with quote

I bought some 4mm runners for my viv-building project, then today I've tried to buy some glass for the doors. The glass company refused to sell them to me, saying it was a health and safety issue, and I'd need toughened glass. But toughened glass is 4 times the price, so do I really need it? For a leopard gecko? It's only going to be slid back and forwards, not banged or anything. Or am I being naíve?

Lucy[/i]
kronin
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lucy,

I had the same problem recently, apparently new regulations mean glaziers can't sell untoughened 4mm glass unless it's going into a frame (I presume you told them the glass was for a viv?).

IMO you don't need anything more than 4mm glass for something like Geckos but if the glaziers insist then I suppose theres no option other than to get it toughened. I was offered laminated glass and it wasn't as expensive as toughened stuff so you could try that.

I only wanted two sheets approx. 40cm x 30cm and it they wanted something like £40! Needless to say I didn't bother!

I was advised to tell glaziers in future the glass was to replace the front of a photo frame - you didn't hear that from me though! Cool
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them it's for a greenhouse, they are only 3mm anyway!

Or just say it's for a frame.

Personally I think it's rubbish and they are trying to scam you for more money by buying toughend!

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: