Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting plasterers bath?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pendlehog
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Converting plasterers bath? Reply with quote

peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a clue tbh, do these get used alot? Seems a strange thing to use (not having a dig - just curious)

What snake is it for?

Honestly all I could think of doing is making a table type stucture, that this bath would slide into....is it heavy?

I'm thinking like treating it like a giant contico, without a lid, that uses the rack itself for a lid....get me??
Pendlehog
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theyre not really heavy no, theyre only made of plastic. I know what you mean Peaches, could be doable especially if i added a viewing window at the from for light.
I havent heard of them being used before but theyre large, not overly expensive and easy to clean so I figured it was worth a go!

Im looking at taking on a pair of bullsnakes, the guy is absolutely desperate to get rid of them and im rather partial to pituophis sp. Im moving soon and will have a stack of 4ft vivs then probably, but the guy needs them to go asap.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seen them used in racking where the shlf above is the lid of the tub below, other than that couldn't you make a wooden frame and staple mesh over the top, that would then just sit over the tub, perhaps with locking pins to stop it being pushed off from the inside?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
BallGuy
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Scott said a wooden frame big enough to fit round the outer lip of the bath with either mesh or ply (with holes covered in mesh for ventilation) on top as the actual lid. The ply forms the lid and the frame by being on the outside stops ideways movement of the lid. I'll get a picture of a similar one I made for a glass tank to better show my point.
shaz
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had 2 lids for ours i use mine for snails!
But we used first a wooden frame with mesh lid but wasnt happy with that looked messy lol
We made it along lines of a rabbit cage front pretty sure i dont have pictures will look!
The other was a big sheet of perspex easy to cut well i didnt cut it the old man did but he didnt swear much lol and we cut it to fit!
Due to it only having snails in and although huge they wasnt no where near as strong as a snake!
We drilled small holes along one side and fixed to holes drilled in bath and used wire to connect!
Dont that sound smart lol Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pendlehog
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all the suggestions guys, I'll have a play over the weekend and see what I can come up with!
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted one for use with Ackies, basically a wooden fame as Scott suggested. So ended up like a standard viv with a big plastic tub screwed to the bottom!

If you look at the front you can see I screwed through the tub into wooden blocks.

Cheers

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: