Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mangrove snake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixfire1988
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: mangrove snake Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone had ever kept any these (I could not put in the scientific name cos it kept having a fit when i tried. Confused ), and could give me any information as to their general attitude, and behaviors. I am particularly interested in knowing whether they are aggressive or problematic feeders etc.
I was considering getting one for display in the future, as I find them absolutely stunning to look at. But I thought it wise to find out more about them first. I'm not planning on getting one until I have improved my experience with snakes first anyway.
I am well aware of the fact that these are rear fanged and rather venomous; I also know that they are at least semi-arboreal. I would like to know if they are nocturnal though.
I don't see much point in getting a display snake that I will never see.
hogboy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept a trio some many years ago, managed to breed them a few times with good hatch rate.
They are nocturnal, and mine were not especially agressive.
The adults fed well on mice and small rats, the hatchlings took a bit of coaxing but soon took mice readily.
This was back in the 80's before they went on to the DWA list.
A good clean adult is probably one of my faves.
phoenixfire1988
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they might have been nocturnal, the eyes gave me that impression. Thanks for the info though. I might still get some one day.
So are they semi-arboreal or totally arboreal, just out of curiosity?
hogboy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did spend most of the time on their branches if i remember rightly.
phoenixfire1988
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, well thanks a lot, much appreciated. Very Happy
Thomas Shanta
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dendrophelia are certainly impressive creatures,I have'nt seen any for sale forages does anyone on here keep them.
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also heard rumours that they may possibly be coming off the dwa..is there any truth in this?
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few keepers that have them, but there are very few around nowadays really.

Just in case you didn't know. They are on the DWA list so you'd need a licence to keep them legally. This is the main reason there are so few around. The venom isn't really that bad, in fact there are worse rear fanged that aren't on the DWA.

Stunning snakes though.

Mark Amey, of Ameyzoo has a pair, but I don't think they are for sale, most people that have a DWA licence in the first place don't tend to keep any rear fanged (apart from Boomslangs), once you have the licence then they tend to move onto the snakes that make the licence worthwhile.

Mike
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres always seem to be a few floating about when talk comes up about a DWA review and their exclusion from it, but as of yet to no avail. They are easily available (and surprisingly cheap) in Europe coming in on Indonesian shipments but there just isn't a market for them anymore in the UK Cool
phoenixfire1988
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think the venom was that bad but i wasn't sure how bad, and i was aware that i would need a license to keep them, i checked that out first Wink but thanks for the heads up all the same.
It's a shame that there aren't more about, I do think that they are extremely nice. But I think if i was going to get a license for them, i would probably keep front fanged snakes aswell. Avoiding the vipers for a while, although i would like to get some Enhydris plumbea or something similar. Not for a while though, wouldn't want to risk getting tagged by one Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: