Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ceramic heater output?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingcobra
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: ceramic heater output? Reply with quote

i have been asked what wattage of ceramic would be needed for either a 5x2x2 or 6x2x2 vivarium which is being kept in a cold environment,possibly down as low as 5c in winter. any body know?reptiles temp should be from 26-30c!! Confused
GJ
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 250w CHE is the largest bulb you can get, i would try a pair of those via a 600 habistat. A well built vivarium insulated could make allot of difference.

I don't think anybody could tell you for sure, its a case of trial and error.

Is it going into a garage/shed....
kingcobra
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your post, its going in a garage. Smile
mattie
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ceramic is only going to heat directly under it too the correct temperature, the cool end of the viv will only be a few degrees above the temp of the room, which is a potential problem, when i kept a pair of beardies in a un insulated loft, i used a statted tubular heater inside the viv, this provided a constant background temp of around 80f. while the rest of the room was hovering around the high 50 low 60f mark

you can pick tubular heaters up from argos for about 20 quid

hope this helps
GJ
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used tubular heaters and they do work well, particularly for lizards/torts. When using them for snakes you need to box them in good to prevent the snake coiling around the heater, this can take up a fair bit of room especially in small enclosures, 2ft depth is not much to work with. You would need to use a 4-5ft tubular heater to keep the temps up on the cool side.
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be easier (though not necessarily cheaper) to use an oil filled radiator to keep the room temp up if space in the viv is limited. This is what I did over last winter in one of our sheds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: