Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has the bubble burst?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
premierpython
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Has the bubble burst? Reply with quote

I have just noticed that on Darren's site www.crystalpalacereptiles.com that the price of pairs of 100% het albino Royals has gone down nearly £300.00 since April when I bought mine from him Evil or Very Mad

The cheaper ones are UK bred and not from NERD as mine are-does anyone know if UK bred are generally cheaper than NERD line?

Also the cost of Visual Albinos has gone down several hundred pounds each (they are still £1695 mind !)

The question I'm really asking is-is the price of this particular morph going down as I have recently invested in a pair of het albinos and will have to wait 3 year to see any of my investment back.

Anyone who has ball park figures for hets or albino royals please let me know!

Also is the market still steady/stable for this particular morph?

Any information appreciated Very Happy
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a few weeks and it'll be even lower. Lots of rumours and anticipated angry people.

Morphs allways lose value - especially in an area of the market that has mushroomed in such a way the royal one has, thats the way the hobby/world works.

Unfortunately if you jumped on the royal wagon too late you're going to lose out, like the hundreds of others that are just behind the wave. I'd suspect that you waited until the hets you have were more affordable, but by then you have missed the chance.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told recently by someone highly respected in the reptile world that NERD probably have vast numbers of holdbacks/reserves and will always be able to compete with the hobbyist by slowly releasing/dropping prices to compete. I was staggered by the size quality of my 100% male het albino from crystal palace (nerd)for only £150. I had expected a tiny little out of the egg 3 or 4 feeds baby, but it was real chunky and obviously grown on. I have nothing but praise for Crystal palace, he is subject to supply and demand the same as us.
Also anyone with a visual male can produce 100% hets by putting them with lots of normal females. Imagine nerd with just 10 visual males each servicing 5 female normals, say 30 produce 5 babies = 150 babies. Times this by who knows?
I personally think it is brilliant. As an hobbyist my aim is to eventually produce an albino which I cannot afford outright. But with a 100% het and some normals and 50% hets and if become cheep enough a 100% het female will get there eventually.
If its an hobby the prices dropping is great. If you are in it for money then you will still (IN MY OPINION) get over a £1000 for an albino for a few years yet. At least I hope so, if i produce albinos the money would be nice.
sorry for waffling on
mike
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bubble certainly hasn't 'burst', instead the market now has a good supply!

Previously the market was under supplied so breeders could charge pretty much whatever they wanted, but now the supply has caught up with the demand at the HIGH PRICE, when the price drops the demand goes up...if the demand goes up more than production then the price will stick or perhaps even rise slightly. Ball pythons are not prolific or reliable breeders and they make fantastic pet reptiles so it's unlikely that CB baby balls of any morphs will ever totally be over supplied (just think of the thousands of normal babies that sell in shops for £70 plus!) By the time albinos hit £100 you could of built up a good number of breeders and you would still be earning a nice profit from them.

Those that bought Spiders at £20'000 made a profit on them without doubt, now spiders are available for £2000 and will probably be half that next year but even so a male spider costing £2k can breed with 2-4 females, all you need is 2 or more spiders to hatch to cover the cost of the male, after that you are quids in (minus your running costs).

If you do want a slower price drop on the animals you breed, then stick to recessive morphs, failing that you need to breed co-doms to recessives etc to make new morphs.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the question has been answered perfectly here..my tupence is this .
the market cannot stay high on certain morphs as new one will be around the corner ..and the next big price will be attached to them..Smile

jezz wrote:
I dont understand SteveL's sarcasm dohhh
Jadrow
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have noticed the market dropping over here in Australia for our albino Darwins and Olives as more come on the market.Seen a pure Darwin albino male and 100% het female for sale for $12,000 aussie dollars.Also the price of albino Olives have dropped about $3,000 can now be purchased from $12,000/$15,000.The demand still outstrips supply over here but the main breeder of the original albino Darwin still has a 2 yr waiting list on pure's and 100% hets.Not sure on the waiting list for the Olives as im not really interested in them as they will always be Olives much more of a chance to breed the Darwins with other Morelia and design my own python.

cheers pete
premierpython
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info..thanks.

So to sum up-the price of Homo & Het albinos will fluctuate with market demand.

Anyone want to have a stab at what a Homo Albino and 100% hets will be worth in say 2 years time.

I would like to think the Homo Albinos would hold fast at at least £1000 ??

Any opinions on this?

Chris
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will all depend on the economy overall, after all how many people have a £1000 to spend on their hobby? Most of the snakes sold over the £1000 tag are bought by those wanting to breed them, once the albinos drop below that I think demand will once again far outstrip supply, it's the pet owners, those who will buy an albino royal or mojave or leucistic for it's beauty ONLY, they will be the ones who will push the demand way up again.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
smileyculture
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that every year the market will become cheaper - I have to try to stay competitive with current markets - the Het albinos I have are much cheaper now but are very small - the ones you bought in April will reproduce 1 year earlier than these so when you sell the offspring you should reap a higher price.

Lots of people like to think the Ball python market is crashing - in my opinion it is getting stronger - better prices means a whole lot more people can step on the ladder.
premierpython
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="smileyculture"]The problem is that every year the market will become cheaper - I have to try to stay competitive with current markets - the Het albinos I have are much cheaper now but are very small - the ones you bought in April will reproduce 1 year earlier than these so when you sell the offspring you should reap a higher price.

Sorry...I didn't mean to come across as unhappy or angry,just concerned..I was delighted when I received the hets in April and am still very pleased with them and am astounded at their growth and feeding rates,one takes weaner rats the other prefers fingers Very Happy They eat every time without fail and often knock the food from the tongs I have to use

The delivery and service were also 1st class.

It's just the little paranoid voice in my head again. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: