Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cork Bark Cleaning?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhill
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Cork Bark Cleaning? Reply with quote

Just been out and bought a medium sized piece of cork bark from a pet shop for my viv.

My question is, should i clean/ sterlise it before putting it in the viv?

If so, whats the best way of doing it, do i just give it a scrub to remove all the loose bits or does it need washing with boiling water to sterlise it as well?

Cheers in advance Smile

"The most common mistake made by people designing something completly foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools". -- Douglas Adams.
Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I tip several kettles of boiling water over my larger bark pieces- the smaller ones I boil up in a saucepan.Tried to microwave a piece once- never again the smell was awfull!. I put the big bits in the bath, let them soak in boiling water then run the cold shower on them to remove any loose or flaky bits and if possible dry them in the sun.
Love Jan
emz
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have some pieces that have some very pretty bits of lichen on and this method will kill them, no? but in all honesty can't think of any other way of doing it...
Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure Emz if this will kill your lichens, but Ive just re called that that a lot of keepers sterilize bark etc by freezing it for a few hours. I have poured boiling water over green shaggy moss and its had no detremental effect at all I guess its trial and error.
love Jan
cass
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what iv always done is soak it in 10 parts water and 1 part bleach overnight then put in airing cupboard for around 3 to for days , as u dont want any bleach smell to remain as it will be harmfull to ur animal Very Happy
Budda
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main concern with cork bark is it containing ants, i normally just check to see if there are any ants visible then shake the bark to make sure they are not hiding then just give the bark a spray with the hose to take any lose stuff off. Been doing it like that for 5 years and never had a problem.
big_boids_uk
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray liberally with ark-cleans or similar reptile safe cleaning solution. Allow this to soak in for 10 Min's then pour on the kettles of hot water. Should eliminate any harmful bacteria as well as pesky unwanted Beatles etc.
emz
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool i usually use a diluted bleach solution for everything else but wasn't sure if it'd be OK for the bark. i suppose it doesn't really matter about the lichen it just looked good as the bark is used as a hide but the main thing is that it gets cleaned thoroughly.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by far the easiest method (if you have a chest freezer) is to leave them for 24 hours to freeze.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
raptor
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if it's available in the UK or not, but there's a product called "Top Of Descent" that's used for fumigating plane cabins for quarantine. Put your cork into a tub or garbage bin with a tight fitting lid, & give it a 10-15 sec burst. Leave it for around half an hour. That will kill almost any bug on it except for mite eggs. Rinse it in hot water, let dry, & you're good to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: