Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breeding Royals unusual question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Breeding Royals unusual question Reply with quote

Unusual Question
Most CF royals arrive about the same time as CB royals? CB being obviously far superior. I have bean told the figures for imported CF were 10,000 into this country this year don't quote me on figures, second hand.
IS it O.K. to cool and breed royals from say the beginning of January(instead of October) so that the babies are a few months behind the CF onslaught and we have a better chance of selling them at a fair price and not in competition with the unfortunate pet shop fodder. any advice as always appreciated.
thanks
mike
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CF tend to be a lot earlier than CB, with CF being available from mid April to end of April. Captive bred only seem to start laying at about that time with eggs still hatching even now.

To compete with CF (which I personally think can be excellent quality & condition, if bought from responsible importers) you should hold them back and grow them a little and 100% guarantee they are defrost feeders. You can never really compete price wise, with some CF ending up at public available prices of £20 but these are the ones that tend to be unfed, bulk housed and will present problems for the new keeper.

Why not go the other way and bring your breeding season forward? producing the FIRST cb babies of the year is far more marketable than producing the last Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken that CF can be fantastic quality. I have looked at some of yours(on this forum) and others cf wc and they are obviously can be as good as CB.
I apoolgise for griping in the way I started this subject.
Back to the question.
Can I choose when to breed them within reason. If they dont stop feeding naturally, I may start cooling end of november beginning of december, so 2 months later than is often stated. Does anyone see any problems with this? My motive for this is to get a little bit more weight on my females.
Any advice
mike
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pretty much change the season to whatever you like, obviously the further from the natural season the longer the change will take to settle in.

It seems to me that captive bred ball pythons are later because most people try to keep them feeding to get the size on, exactly as you would like. Obviously the only way to break that cycle is to skip a year of breeding, therefore you would have nice big females and can begin cooling etc as early as you wish. Now that's great if you re breeding normals but if morphs are involved then most people would like to get 'a return' as quick as possible.

Don't worry about the CF comments, overall people are right, CF are no where near as good as CB, but that's not their fault...just the fault of the importer / trader, CF in the hands of good importers / traders are superb, just the same as CB in the hands of bad traders are terrible Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
goldenburm
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a certain american BP self proclaimed god lol has had eggs in all but 2 months of the year, so as long as conditioned correctly I cant see why not!
1.0 pastel motley DEAD
2.0 sunglows 1.0 LIVING
1.1 pastel het snow 0.1 LIVING
2.2 albino boas DEAD
0.2 albino ara's DEAD
0.4 boa constrictors 0.2 LIVING
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: