Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Cat Has Broke Her Leg!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melpeck86
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: My Cat Has Broke Her Leg!! Reply with quote

Hey guys
My cat decided it woiuld be a great idea to free fall from my upstairs window. I had people staying who left the window open.

I went outside this morning and i found Tinx sat on the path, looking rather forlorn.

We got her to the vets, she has broken her leg and will be in plaster for 6-8 weeks. She cost us over £300 today, if we get an operation done it will be an extra grand!!

Does anyone else have any stories of their animals costing them an arm and a leg??

xxx

DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'LL DIE TODAY.
You'd better worry, I've ran out of med's!!!
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sorry to hear that..hope your cat gets better soon..as for hefty vets bills I know all about that!!..our dog has cost us near enough 2 grand recently but luckily he is insured..
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your kitty gets better soon.

My poor kitty was run over almost two years ago now and ended up in bandages for 3 months. Thankfully she was insured otherwise I would have had over £2000 to pay in the end. Here's a photo of her all bandaged up.

Thankfully apart from a few bald patches and a slightly twisted back foot, she's totally fine these days. Smile
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope he heals quick!

Read this though:

"We humans are hopeless when we fall out of buildings. Hardly anybody can survive a fall of more than six storeys onto hard concrete. The usual causes of death are head injuries, and bleeding from inside the gut. Cats have a better sense of balance than we do. This is because the nerve messages from their eyes to their muscles and joints work extremely fast. Also cats use their tails for balance. When they fall, they immediately twist and turn in space so that all four feet are pointing downwards. Cats have a single carpal pad that lies behind and above the other pads on the feet, and does not come into contact with the ground. This pad does not play a part in normal locomotion, but is thought to have a role when the cat lands after a jump.

Cats that fall from tall buildings do not suffer injuries in exactly the way you might expect. As you would predict, the rate of cat injuries increases steadily the higher the storey from which the animal falls -- up to seven storeys in height. But above that height the rate of fractures inflicted actually decreases. It turns out that a cat reaches its terminal velocity after about seven storeys. At this point the cat's inner ear system is no longer stimulated by acceleration and the speed is constant. The cat therefore relaxes and spreads its legs so that its body and limbs take advantage of maximum air resistance -- much in the same way that a falling parachutist stabilises his descent. Adult humans on the other hand are hopeless and just tend to tumble, while babies, with their big heads, tend to land on the top of their skull."

http://www.science.edu.sg/ssc/detailed.jsp?artid=672&type=6&root=4&parent=4&cat=35
Smile

No man is an Island. Except the Isle of Man.
melpeck86
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Yea, she landed on the concrete path in the garden!! We were going to get insurance 2 weeks ago, but I kept putting it off!! Wish I had it now!!
I'll post some photos in the next couple of days!

Word of Warning - GET ALL ANIMALS INSURED!!!

xxx

DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'LL DIE TODAY.
You'd better worry, I've ran out of med's!!!
Emz118
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago our Oriental cat fell out of the window in one of our attic bedrooms......

She slid down the roof, my stepsister ran downstairs swearing and screaming (She was in the room asleep and heard the cat slide down the roof) Me and my 2 stepsisters ran out the back door to see poor stupid peanut sat in the guttering just below the attic......

I said we had to phone someone, like my Dad, who was in the village 5 Min's walk away, so one of my stepsisters tried to get in the back door, only to find it was locked!!

At this point we were all going mad..... had the cat for about 3 months, and my step mum loves her to pieces, and spent £350 on her! When my other Stepsister yells "Get Uncle Mike (The butcher over the road) He used to be a fireman!" lol

So one of the stepsisters ran across the road barefoot, while I ran down towards the village barefoot, and found Dad, who wasn't worried in the slightest, and just wandered back, with me screaming to hurry up, and when we got back good old Uncle Mike was up a ladder getting her down!

It was quite a stressful 5 minutes! lol

Luckily though, Peanut had a few claws which were bleeding, probably from sliding down the roof tiles, but was otherwise fine.

Hope your baby gets better soon!

Emma xXx
linda
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh god this happened to my freinds kitten not so long ago, but she was injured.
my stupid dog ran off a cliff when she was 2 years old, luckily the drop was only onto a 7ft ledge down, it was hard getting her back up but i managed it, if she had of missed the ledge then it would have been a dead dog i think! she didnt need any treatment as she was fine.

hope your cat gets better soon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: