Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Substrate. What do you all recommend?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthernRegius.com
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Dan it's sooo 60's Wink

QUOTE: "Flax seeds are used in money spells. A few can be placed in the pocket, wallet or purse, or a jar should be placed on the alter and a few coins, plus some flax seed added. This should be repeated each day to attract money. A bit of Flax in the shoe wards off poverty."

And I thought Flax was only good for detoxing the body & firghting cancer...
premierpython
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use newspaper,always have,always will.
A huge sheet got stuck to a rabbit I fed my burm once when I had her,it passed through no problems at all.

I don't think I could have slept as soundly if it were a piece of aspen or wood shavings (by the way never use shavings containing cedar as it is toxic to snakes) that she would have swallowed.

Mites (lord forbid) are much easier to spot on newspaper too.

I have even taken to building my vivs to suit the size of our local paper!!

Plus it gives my snakes some intellectual stimulation Laughing
kronin
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's everyones thoughts on corn cob granules?

I've enquired about Aspen bedding at my local herp shop but was instead recommended to use the corn cob stuff. I later read conflicting reports, half say its great and is easily passed if ingested but others are against it stating that it swells up and could lead to problems.

Lucky I didn't buy any if the latter is true!
Lez
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

premierpython wrote:
I use newspaper,always have,always will.
A huge sheet got stuck to a rabbit I fed my burm once when I had her,it passed through no problems at all.

I don't think I could have slept as soundly if it were a piece of aspen or wood shavings (by the way never use shavings containing cedar as it is toxic to snakes) that she would have swallowed.

Mites (lord forbid) are much easier to spot on newspaper too.

I have even taken to building my vivs to suit the size of our local paper!!

Plus it gives my snakes some intellectual stimulation Laughing

Thanks for that Smile i'm designing some vivs at the mo but what would you recommend the wood to use.....the viv i have is like contiplas board but i've heard that it's not recommended.
premierpython
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,again,some folk will differ on this from me for various reasons and experiences they have had.

I have always had good results with WBP ply,coated with several layers of water based low odour quick drying varnish.You can easily recognize this type of varnish,rather than the traditional syrupy golden color with a heavy smell (polyurethane) it has a milky colour and hardly any smell,it dries clear.

Build the viv 1st,dismantle and coat all surfaces and EDGES(very important) and when re assembling take care to seal all the joins with a fungicide free silicone.

The vivs I have built this way are (heavy) very good at retaining humidity and fairly easy to clean.

You need to experiment for yourself and listen to others advice and experiences,like I said what works for one person may not work for another.The methods I have described above work very well for me however.

Happy viv building Wink
big_boids_uk
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use wall lining paper for all of my snakes - comes on a roll, it is nice and thickas well as ultra absorbant. I buy it in boxes of 12 rolls and use the thickest weight they do. More eye pleasing than paper Smile
NorthernRegius.com
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of wood for your enclosures, how about melamine? That's what mine are made of, water has no effect & heat doesn't warp it.

Of the people I've seen use wood, they line it with the same material as you would line a shower... quote from an associate below:

"Use plywood, Poly the top and then Water proof wall panelling the rest. It is a thin plastic you can find in Home Depot back by the plexi glass and what not usually. It is around $20.00 dollars for an 8X4 sheet, but it sure beats doing 3-4 coats of Poly and it looks way better."

Best Wishes -Deb
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
None of the above!! Razz

I use flax, it looks similar to aspen or hemp but is softer and dust free. Also has an added bonus that it doesn't move around in lumps quite so readily as aspen, it forms a carpet "of sorts" that can be spot cleaned with ease.

Info on flax

As usual it's a horse bedding/food primarily.

Hey Dan,

What brand is it, Ultrasorb, Audibose??

How Good is it at "$hi..stuff retention/moisture"???? aspen is better than newsprint in my opinion,as spot cleaning is a high a priority. Makes for much less work with a growing collection!!!

What about ingestion, ha it been an issue? I know the way snakes eat usually makes substrate ingestion a mute point (mouth naturally removes foreign objects... unless its an electric blanket wrapped around food of course!!!).....

I know some major(UK python) names use flax/bark mixtures. Just need that extra push to try it myself!!!! Do you think it would work for colubrids, they are a tad messier than Boids!!

Cheers

Mark
Lez
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark...good to meet you.....I always feed mine in a seperate tank of sorts.....for one he/she knows what's coming and second you don't get your finger bitten off when you take the snakes out the viv...hehehe...i've always found this very successful especially with a difficult feeder, less distractions etc.... plus there's now way he can pick up any substrate coz there's none in there.......what do you think.

Lez
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronin wrote:
What's everyones thoughts on corn cob granules?

I've enquired about Aspen bedding at my local herp shop but was instead recommended to use the corn cob stuff. I later read conflicting reports, half say its great and is easily passed if ingested but others are against it stating that it swells up and could lead to problems.

Lucky I didn't buy any if the latter is true!

used to use corn cob granules for most of my collection, it's great for all dry applications like desert vivs etc but goes very mouldy if there is humidity. It can also go very dusty (not a pleasent dust to breathe either). I never had any impaction problems from it. Have kept colubrids, boids and many lizard species on it.

I now use (for pythons) newspaper for juvs and then switch over to aspen once the newpaper can't absorb the urine. The aspen is great for absorbing everything and stops the bottom of the tub being a bath of toilet 'juices'!

One thing to take into account with choice of substrate is your method of feeding ie live, fresh kill, derfost or wet defrost. If you use wet defrost the prey is far more likely to get covered in the substrate.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: