Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a retained eye cap ? Look carefully!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
premierpython
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI all,I have had the humidity up at over 80%rh since my last post.
Tonight she shed her skin,all in one piece.I examined the head spectacles very carefully and both eye caps are intact and not torn on the shed skin.

Then Sad I noticed her eyes,they are exactly as they were before her shed.I tried the cotton bud method again but the eye caps? were firmly fixed.How can this be with an animal in the process of shedding,they must be soft,surly?

After close inspection I have convinced myself she has protruding skin from the periocular area of the eye.It isn't affecting her eating and she is just as active.I think I am best just leaving her alone.

Does anyone think I am wrong,do I need to take further action,has anyone else experienced or heard of this kind of thing occurring.I must have her conditions somewhere near ideal as she shed all in one perfect piece.

Any input valued.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it's hard to tell if the eye cap is still there or not, are you 100% sure it is?

Is the eye still clear for vision? Is the snake still feeding ok? If the answer is yes to both I would be tempted on leaving it until the next shed, then keep her in a real humid viv and see if that does the trick. I often found it easier to remove a build up of retained eye caps rather than poking at just one.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
NorthernRegius.com
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she shed for you intact, I wouldn't try to remove anything from the area. Ensure she has a water dish big enough to soak it if she desires & you may wish to apply some Neosporin (original formula) to the area daily until her next shed. If she had somehow injured that area, the Neosporin will help it heal. Hope this helps- Deb
premierpython
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to thank everyone for their help and input,it realy is appreciated.
I fed her tonight,a weaner rat,she allmost took the tongs out of my hand talk about positive feeding response!
Her vision is ok and her eyes crystal clear.I am going to leaver her get on with growing nice and plump so in a couple of years I can breed some albino babies Very Happy

Thanks all again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: