Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negri
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Quails Reply with quote

I have 2 quails, a female and a male.

I've had them for about a year and to start off with kept them in the same cage and everything was going ok, she was laying an egg almost everyday for about 8 days on then having a break and then starting to lay again a few weeks later, they looked ok...

But then the male started pulling her feathers out on her back, i dont think he meant it but she was going bald, so we separated them and put them in different cages next to each other, they've been fine like that for months but now they've started to call at each other again...

Does anyone know whether we should put them back together and let them get it on???

Crested Geckos 1:7:4 + 8 Eggs
White Treefrogs 0:1:0
Green Anole 0:0:1
Fire Belly Toads 5:6:0
Bearded Dragon 0.1.0
Leopard Geckos 1.1.2
Albino Cali King 1.1.0
And a Fish Called George...
Gazz
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Quails Reply with quote

negri wrote:
I have 2 quails, a female and a male.

I've had them for about a year and to start off with kept them in the same cage and everything was going ok, she was laying an egg almost everyday for about 8 days on then having a break and then starting to lay again a few weeks later, they looked ok...

But then the male started pulling her feathers out on her back, i don't think he meant it but she was going bald, so we separated them and put them in different cages next to each other, they've been fine like that for months but now they've started to call at each other again...

Does anyone know whether we should put them back together and let them get it on???

Don't worry it's a very'very thing with quails it's just where the male stands on her back over and over again when mating(Your right he's not doing on purpose).Best way round it if you have the space get one or two more girls so he's not always mating the same female over and over.You may have problems with her if she it housed outdoors in the winter month's as there is bare skin so she can get the chill alot essayer than usual but if she is indoors like shed'ect you shouldn't have a problem.
Kat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of quail are they? I kept chinese painteds and Coturnix quail a couple of years ago. quite prolific!
negri
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey...

Thanks...

Yea we keep them indoors, we're just going to move them into a bigger pen kind of thing...

I think it would be a good idea to get a few more females but the place that we got them from hasn't had anymore and i'm always wary about buying them on the net...

We've had them separated for a few months, and put them back together recently and apart from trying to climb on her once he's been on his best behavior... Very Happy

I believe they are Chinese quails but I'm not sure, I'll see if they can stay still long enough to take a few pics...

Bearded Dragon 0.1.0
Leopard Geckos 1.1.2
Albino Cali King 1.1.0
Gazz
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negri wrote:
Hey

I think it would be a good idea to get a few more females but the place that we got them from hasn't had anymore and i'm always wary about buying them on the net...

Do you have a incubator have you hatch eggs before ? you can get more quail that way.Go on ebay uk and type in quail eggs in the search bar you'll get loads of breeds and color morph to choose from.If it is painted quails you have you'll only have to what 16 day for hatchling and they are so cute very very tiny Very Happy .

Try this link it should work if it doesn't follow what i said above.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=quail+eggs
negri
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I was looking at getting eggs off ebay but wanted to try breeding ours first but they dont seem up to it... Confused

Think ebay's our best. Cant wait to have a few lil ones running around... Very Happy

Bearded Dragon 0.1.0
Leopard Geckos 1.1.2
Albino Cali King 1.1.0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: