Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHO AGREES WITH THIS ????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cass
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: WHO AGREES WITH THIS ???? Reply with quote

this is not written by me i have read it off another site ...

The phoenix worm has recently come into use in the reptile industry. Dr. Allan Sheppard developed this larvae under laboratory conditions for their proposed Ca:P ratios. In an effort to learn more about the Phoenix worm I did some research to further understand just how good or bad they were for Bearded Dragons, I found the following...

1. The Phoenix Worm (Hermetia Illucens) or Black Soldier Fly is commonly found
breeding in outdoor toilets, poorly managed compost and manure. The flies are
scavengers and live on decaying matter including carrion, manure, plant waste and
beehive waste.

2. The larva have been observed to enter the intestinal tract of humans, but cause little
damage with treatment.

3. After purchasing some Phoenix worms I, along with Dr Dan Johnson took them to the
lab at NCSU and found that they were packaged with decaying animal matter,
presumably for the Phoenix worms to feed off of.

4. The nutritional Content information from Dr Shepard has been removed from his
sites. All other sites offering nutrition charts or information on Phoenix worms took it
directly from Dr Shepard and since he has pulled it from his site we have to assume it
was inaccurate or had some other issue. This creates a situation where we have no verifiable
nutritional facts on Phoenix worms.

5. The insect larvae were tested for a maximum of 6 months on a clutch of nocturnal leopard gecko
hatchings, which have a much lower calcium requirement than day dwelling reptiles.
Dr. Sheppard states that the control group was fed romaine lettuce and carrots.

6. Only one study was performed on Bearded Dragon's and the final results of that
study were not released. However, multiple cases have reported dry, hard, yellow
urates after consumption indicating a possible calcium overload.

Due to the lack of verifiable nutritional facts and no long term study on Bearded
Dragons I can not recommend feeding them as a staple prey item and feel using them
even as a treat item is questionable until more long term testing is done and nutritional
facts can be confirmed.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks for posting, Have you the source of the info, it almost reads like a competitor putting the product down, would like to know how independant it is.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
cass
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i dont want to cause trouble on here i will pm u scott
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
dr. phoenix
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. This is Craig Sheppard, developer of the Phoenix Worm. The post reproduced on this forum was recently brought to my attention. I have responded and invite you to read the full thread to learn more about this new feeder insect. Here is the link:

http://bearded-dragons.com/boards/index.php?topic=4018.0

Phoenix Worms are now available throughout the US and Canada and will soon be on the shelves of pet stores in the UK as well as in Europe. Our authorized distributor in the UK is Pollywog Livefoods, http://www.pollywog.co.uk.
USA
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cass, read through the link, I think it's typical scaremongering before any facts have been proven.

I'll post the link up here for others to read.

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr. phoenix wrote:
Hello all. This is Craig Sheppard, developer of the Phoenix Worm. The post reproduced on this forum was recently brought to my attention. I have responded and invite you to read the full thread to learn more about this new feeder insect. Here is the link:

Phoenix Worms are now available throughout the US and Canada and will soon be on the shelves of pet stores in the UK as well as in Europe. Our authorized distributor in the UK is Pollywog Livefoods, http://www.pollywog.co.uk.

thanks Craig, didn't see yor post until now Laughing

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, just read on your post that you say they are trade marked? what does that actually mean? Surely you can't trade mark a live animal or I'm guessing it's just the new name you call them?

I saw them at Daytona last year, even had some back in England, very interesting 'bugs', good luck with them.

dr. phoenix
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good wishes, Scott. You're right; we trademarked the name Phoenix Worm for our lab cultured Hermetia illucens insect. We took this step to differentiate our product from possibly inferior worms that could come along later. We wanted to establish a high quality brand that people can trust.
USA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: