Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Bank help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tafkadaz
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: New Bank help please Reply with quote

Just after a little bit of advice after building my Ig Viv http://myiguana.hopto.org,
i decided to start creating my Leo Viv's i have done the first bank of 3 and also a large one built into a bookcase i built in kids room.
I am adding a bank of 4-8 under the original 3 and would like a bit of advice on heat mats.
If i had a bank of 8 all in same area no drafts etc and ran a heat mat or 2 under the back 2 thirds of the tank would this be sufficient to heat it, also i use my mats outside the Viv and the material (laminated board) is approx 12-14mm thick wood will the heat be able te penetrate this also what is the best substrate to allow good heat conduction obviously paper towels are thin therefore more heat would come through.
Finlay how well do dimmer stats work with heat mats, i know pulse prop are probably better but i have a spare 600w dimmer one.
Finally location of the probe touching the bottom of the tank or raised???

Last but not least lighting, i want to be able to see my Leo's at night etc i have been looking at the moonlight bulbs 15w, but by the time you buy a bulb and es fitting and cable, it is quite expensive, so i had an idea of maybe using 30mm decking led's blue in colour no heat production, what do you think?

I know the substrate question is kinda thrashed out a lot i am not asking the best substrate just what the different properties regarding heat etc are with each one.And what i should look out for if substrate is thick and the gecko digs it will be hotter on the wood than the substrate.
Should i use mat inside etc.

Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
serpent
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ran a heat mat or 2 under the back 2 thirds of the tank would this be sufficient to heat it,

In a word ...NO

Quote:
i use my mats outside the Viv and the material (laminated board) is approx 12-14mm thick wood will the heat be able te penetrate this

Most definately NOT

Quote:

how well do dimmer stats work with heat mats

They work just fine, that all I use on mats and bulbs

Quote:

Finally location of the probe touching the bottom of the tank or raised???

I have the probe about 1 inch from the substrate, its sods law if you have it on the substrate then the gecko will chuck sand over it.

Quote:
i want to be able to see my Leo's at night etc i have been looking at the moonlight bulbs 15w, but by the time you buy a bulb and es fitting and cable, it is quite expensive, so i had an idea of maybe using 30mm decking led's blue in colour no heat production, what do you think?

As heatmats will NOT work if under the viv why not use 60w spotlights on the dimmer stat and either turn it down or off at night.

For substrate I use playsand or playsand/eco-earth mix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: