Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what size and how often?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emma_fyfe
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: what size and how often? Reply with quote

i have a 9 month old female royal who is around 26inches now, i feed her once a week on medium sized adult mice. She has never missed a feed and always seems hungry, so was wondering if i should give her bigger prey or feed her more often?

Would be interesting to know what everyone else feeds theirs on, as this is my first snake so am still learning as i go!

Thanks,

Emma
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try and get her on rat fluffs or even weaners..as for how often to feed I would offer food every 5-7 days..as long as the prey item is no bigger than the girth of the royal you should be fine.
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as stuart has said try and get her onto rats ive converted all of mine onto rats best weight gaining food ever Cool
cackle
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are rats that much better than mice, I have a snake I am trying to fatten up as she is underweight. she is around 36 inch at the moment I am feeding her a small adult mouse every three days under vets instruction, should I be looking at rats instead???
emma_fyfe
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, think i'll keep her on mice for now as she is eating regularly and is looking very well fed! She gets an adult mouse once a week

Emma
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cackle wrote:
Are rats that much better than mice, I have a snake I am trying to fatten up as she is underweight. she is around 36 inch at the moment I am feeding her a small adult mouse every three days under vets instruction, should I be looking at rats instead???

rats are like steroids Laughing Laughing
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure there is too much nutritional difference between rats and mice, but there are other differences;
Cost - one larger rat is cheaper than several mice
Size - some royals will only fed on ONE prey item per sitting so it's better to get that one item as big as the snake can take.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royals can be a pain, they can eat everything that you throw at them, then suddenly stop or become fussy. My male was eating alternate weaner rats and mice then decided it did not like rats, so will only eat mice.
My female gone on a fast.
Anyone had long term problems Power feeding royals? Is power feeding possible?
Is 100grms growth a month a good target to aim for, for subadult royal.
Does anyone know how much of a mouse rat goes into actual growth? e.g. If feed 100grms a week will 40-50-60 etc grms go into growth??
cheers mike
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting questions.

I may set a few babies aside for a little 'experiment', 2 fed just rats...as many as they want, two just mice again as many as they will eat.

I'll go choose four volunteers Wink and then start a new thread.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for power feeding, don't really like that term, after all the snake is free to choose to eat or not eat. I currently offer food to all my CF 06's everyday / 2 days, depending on how they look i.e. have they digested the last feed, are they looking constipated. If they don't take the food within 30 minutes then I remove it and offer again the following day.

Most baby animals are born / hatch when their food source is at it's most plentiful, therefore I believe that a baby snake is well designed to cope with this ample supple and will 'cash in' on as much as possible. After the first season then I would guess growth and feeding would slow down considerably.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: