Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Royal tank size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Royal tank size Reply with quote

Hello
I want your opinions on tank size for adult royals. I currently use conticos and 50ltr really useful boxes(£9 at staples.co.uk) Various books etc recommend (Ignoring height) between 30-36 inches long by about 18 inches wide. Others seem to imply that conticos/really useful boxes are fine up to 2kgs then bigger will be needed. What do you think. Are there any boxes out there as good as contico/really useful that are in the 30/36 inch range with lids. IS anybody keeping larger adults in conticos without any problems?
thanks in advance
mike
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was in Dunelm mills store yesterday and they had a huge range of plastic tubs..all sizes and very cheap..You will find lots of opinions from keepers on recommended enclosure sizes for different species of snakes..but I am sure a 3ft long enclosure would be fine for a single adult..
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best 'cheap' tub I have seen is in Ikea, it's 100cm x 58cm, (called a Komplement box) only £6 EACH! These are not lidded but can be built into a conti-board wooden rack or you can even buy them as ready made professional racking from lpracks.com

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks stu
I work 2 mins from ikea. I will go an have a look. On the website it says lids are available.
http://www.ikeaplus.co.uk/index.php?action=ik_viewProducts&idpr=696&cl0=25&cl1=158&cl2=395

thanks
mike
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can even buy wardrobe frames to fit these boxes, just add shelves at appropriate height, heat mats etc and away you go.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15597&catalogId=10103&storeId=7&productId=11490&langId=-20&parentCats=15597*15852
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there's more, will have to visit with tape measure and see if can try boxes for size in frame. The ones below look ideal for possible 3 boxes?

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15597&catalogId=10103&storeId=7&langId=-20&parentCats=15597*15852*15855*15857*15860&productId=72571

frame £32 + boxes and lids times 3 £36 + shelf 2 pac times 2 is £20
total = £88 plus 3 2foot by 11 heatmats £36 + thermostat £30ish
grand total Plus bit added for bits and bobs about £160.
Also if they are all compatible with each other you can fit 2 of smaller boxes 50cm by 58Cm on shelf as well as 100cm box. I can feel a new project coming on!

Question, are people keeping and breeding royals in conticos/really use full boxes. OR in the long run will I need some larger boxes etc. Even if only the above for a couple of larger females and for breeding in?
. When they get that big that is. about 900grms at the moment.
cheers
mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: