Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turtles Need Full Spectrum UV Lighting To Survive!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.J.
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Turtles Need Full Spectrum UV Lighting To Survive! Reply with quote

I'm writing this article because many pet shops today sell TURTLES but don't tell people that these animals need FULL SPECTRUM LIGHTING to grow strong hard shells - without this lighting they will die.
If you live In the US or a hot country sunlight should be enough, but In colder countrys like NORTHERN EUROPE OR THE UK you will need FULL SPECTRUM LIGHTING which produce UVA & UVB light - these are essential to the synthesis of vitamin D3 In reptiles, especially turtles or other chelonia.

Remember - TURTLES NEED WARM WATER TO FEED PROPERLEY - 25 to 30 degrees C
- FULL SPECTRUM LIGHTING UVA UVB + CALCIUM SUPPLEMENTS
- CLEAN WATER

THESE 3 THINGS ARE ESSENTIAL TO RAISE A HATCHLING! MISS ONE OUT AND THE TURTLE WILL DIE SOONER RATHER THAN LATER!

PURCHASE UV TUBES WHICH HAVE FULL SPECTRUM UVA UVB WRITTEN ON THEM - NOT THE VERY SIMILAR LOOKING TUBES THAT ARE FOR FISH AQUARIUMS!
stormiemanda
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that as i may be getting a turtle soon that info will come in handy of cource i will be doing resurch first
manda xx
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Turtles Need Full Spectrum UV Lighting To Survive! Reply with quote

J.J. wrote:
I'm writing this article because many pet shops today sell TURTLES but don't tell people that these animals need FULL SPECTRUM LIGHTING to grow strong hard shells - without this lighting they will die.

What about florida soft shells? Razz Wink Very Happy

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: