Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lightning vivariums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AS
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Lightning vivariums Reply with quote

Does anybody know if these tanks are still being made? I cant seem to get onto their website and there doesn't seem to be any independent stores selling them. I as thinking of switching my melamine vivs for a plastic tank and am torn between Vision, Herptek and Lightning; I can find plenty of information on the first two but nothing on the Lightnings. So' has anyone owned these tanks and how do they stack up against the other two makes? Do the Lightning tanks have any advantages over other plastic/ fibreglass vivs, any unique selling points?
Any information would be appreciated.
Regards, AS
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked with both vision and herptek and really do like them, although they sometimes can be a bit awkward when cleaning because they tend to be deeper then they are taller if you get me but would really recommend them none the less. I think Stuart had a lightning viv so I'll let him reply to that as I've never worked with them...
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally prefer herpteks..
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I was leaning towards the herpteks myself but I had read that they did not hold heat at all well and that heating them was a problem, what are your opinions on this? In regard to the lightning tanks, what were your impressions of them, and why do you prefer the herpteks?
Regards, AS
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The herpteks are very well made and do not need a rack to sit in like the lightning ones do..as for heating in the herpteks I do think that the "bucket" could be moved a few inches further along maybe as it is quite hard to get the air temps up..
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get in touch with the Reptile Zone in Bristol and they'll be able to tell you about the lightnings

Reptile Lover
AS
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again thank you for the replies. With regards to the herptek the air temps would be a problem for me as I want the plastic tanks for my "pet" snakes which are kept in my house, not my breeding room, and the temps can get pretty low. Could you line the cages with some type of insulation material? I've not seen herpteks in the flesh so to speak so I do not know if this is feasible or not, let me know what you think.
Cornfan, I tried going onto the Reptile Zone website and couldn't seem to find anything about the lightnings. Unfortunately visiting Bristol isn't an option either even though I live quite near (Oxfordshire.) The last time I went it was during the rush hour and after several near misses with other cars ( and several very angry drivers) I found myself on the road towards Wales not knowing how to get back to Oxford, not an experience I ever want to repeat!
Regards, AS
AS
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly different topic, of the plastic tanks that I mentioned which ones have access holes for thermostat probes? Also, how do you go about securing branches inside the cage? Usually I just drill 2 small holes in the melamine vivs and then secure the branch using some string, obviously this isn't something that I would want to try on a plastic tank. Any suggestions?
Thanks, AS
cornfan
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS wrote:
Cornfan, I tried going onto the Reptile Zone website and couldn't seem to find anything about the lightnings. Unfortunately visiting Bristol isn't an option either even though I live quite near (Oxfordshire.) The last time I went it was during the rush hour and after several near misses with other cars ( and several very angry drivers) I found myself on the road towards Wales not knowing how to get back to Oxford, not an experience I ever want to repeat!
Regards, AS

Phone them. The reason I've said this is because Pete Blake, who owns Reptile Zone also owns Lightning vivs so if he can't help you then nobody can.

Reptile Lover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: