Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

home made vivs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: home made vivs Reply with quote

hello guys, i just thought after reading up on self builds i would
drop my works in progress in here what do you guys think ?

I'm just wondering where the best place to put the vents would be ?

I'm also wondering if its worth putting a couple on eBay lol .if you got a good hobby may as well make some money from it ?
mark67123
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, but one thing I'd say is screw directly through the wood instead of using the fixing blocks - it'd be a lot easier to keep clean. You could still do it - just make sure you drill pilot holes. You could then remove the blocks and cover the holes with sealant.

As for the vents, if you're just using the two in the pic then it's generally best to put them diagonally on the back, corner and corner. I.e. one in the top left corner and one bottom right. Basically you want the airflow to enter the bottom vent and, as it warms and rises, leaves out of the top.
(Although it does depend on the type of heater, where the heater is and what going to be kept in it/what the required temps and humidity are.)
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i was going too screw straight into the wood, but its harder to get the edges all nice and flush ,especially building on my own ,i may do that with the next ones that i build thanks for the advice .
Eddie
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Couldn't agree more Reply with quote

Nice self build. I though I would share our little project and praise B&Q. We purchased all the wood and fitting for £50 and they did all the cuts for fee (the glass doors and rail came of TV stand! It is 4x3x2.

I will never buy one again.
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice as well! I'm going to build all mine from now, and
a nice rack system. its so easy when they do the cuts for you Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: