Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

something to try for people with problem feeding royals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: something to try for people with problem feeding royals Reply with quote

Ive noticed something with my royals. in there vivs they have numerous hides from half pipes,wood hides and pot plant pots well both of them have favorite hides and its there plant pots. Ive noticed that if there in the other hides when it comes to feeding time sometimes they can be fussy and on the odd occasion its taken 30 minutes to get them to take the prey but now if there in there pots its near on straight away every time without fail so it makes me think they must feel more secure in them when i 1st got my female she wouldn't eat and when i added a pot she took her 1st mouse through the top of it straight away. the pots that i use are pretty big pot ones. put them in upside down so the drainage holes at the top i was lucky enough to get some with a massive drainage hole WHATEVER you do DON'T get a pot with a small hole that your royal might get stuck in I'm not saying this will work with your royal but its deffo worth a try as its given proven results with mine Wink
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also something else to try is a natural defrost of your mouse,rat etc then get it really hot with a hairdryer and offer it to your royal using some feeding tongs if they dint take it within a minute or so pull it out and heat it up again yet again this is talking from my own experience and my royals wont touch food unless its hair dryed hot Cool so always worth a try Cool
ballmorph
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i used to use vivs with my royals i would use terracotta pots so that if the hole was too small you could file it away to make it the right size. Smile
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry that's what i meant as is pot pots lol yep better known as terracotta Laughing
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the plastic pretend terracotta. If you have ever dropped the real stuff on an animal you will know why. Also with plastic it is a lot easier to cut etc.
I would imagine if a royal is in a burrow(in the wild) and food came into the burrow from above, it would be natural for the snake to expect it.
You could be on to somet good here. If I get a dodgy feeder I will certainly try it.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would suggest is NOT to make actual holes in them, they can become stuck if they turn back in while heading out, also two snakes can make a right mess of each other if they both go through and panic. I've heard stories of them spinning round in the hole and making deep cuts in their bodies.

If you make the hole on one side, carry the cut down to the bottom so it becomes more like a 'horseshoe shape, that way snakes can just lift the hide up when / if they become stuck.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
premierpython
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Horseshoe" shape holes-yes 75p each at the local garden cent re !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: