Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

horsefields female not eating
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
328jackie
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: horsefields female not eating Reply with quote

My friend has 2 x horsefields. male and female. They are possibly 4 yrs old. about 4 inches across. had then for about 3 months. A new unexperienced owner.

they have been mating. Female has stopped eating. for about 6 weeks.
She is also sleeping lots. Temp approx 85 deg in warm end and 75 deg in cooler end.
Offering dry and fresh food, male eating for england but female not.female is digging quite a lot.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

regards Jackie
Chantal
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I be right to assume that maybe she is getting ready to lay her eggs???? You did mentioned that she has been matting with the male. I know that some turtles may stop eating when getting ready to lay her eggs. But 6 weeks, I don't know if that is considered normal. Does she look like she is searching for "just the right spot"?
Chantal
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I be right to assume that maybe she is getting ready to lay her eggs???? You did mentioned that she has been matting with the male. I know that some turtles may stop eating when getting ready to lay her eggs. But 6 weeks, I don't know if that is considered normal. Does she look like she is searching for "just the right spot"?
328jackie
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not actually sure if she is ready to lay. my friend is a total novice at tortoise keeping. so if any one has any advice as to why she is not eating and that she is digging, and sleeping that would be great./

ta lots
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Horsefields are very territorial. When I had one no probs, when I had 2 probs. One of them kept on trying to bury itself and went off its food. Just like your friends!
I used a 7 foot by 3 foot enclosure so splitting them was not a problem. (other than buying another spotlight setup etc)After that they were both happy but separate.
Other things to consider. Keep very very dry but still require moderate humidity. Some websites say keep substrate wet(rubbish will make em ill)
they need hot spot of about 95-100. they are a burrowing species.
DO not feed fruit(unless you want renal failure etc) Use loads of calcium carbonate. I used to make dandelion leaf butties for them. read lots of recent books on tortoises as well as look at websites. Dint believe anything that told by most shops unless you can get a few people to back it up(with experience that is) IF only 4 yours old and 4 inches they may not be sexually mature. If you have them in a typical vivarium have a look on eBay for tortoise tables. If you provide enough space and basking spots for them to avoid each other if they want to, this may help. If not have separate tortoise tables.
some links
http://www.tortoiselife.co.uk/
http://www.v-e-t-s.co.uk/horsefield_tortoise.htm
http://russiantortoise.org/
http://www.slowcoach.org.uk/articles/articles.html Sale of Mediterranean Tortoises In UK Garden Centres : Beware!!!
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/cheloniauk/russian.htm
http://www.britishcheloniagroup.org.uk/testudo/v6n1davenport.htm

Books
Popular tortoises Philippe DE Vasili
Mediterranean tortoise, Brian pursall

After you have looked at all these websites and changed setups as needed and still having problems then possible a vet will be required.
Are these CB or wild caught. If WC have they been wormed etc?
I have wrote so much so you will begin to see there is a lot to think about.
Hope some of this points the right direction,
mike
328jackie
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

Definitely a lot to take in. I shall pass not only this information onto my friend but also the web site so she can post any other problems herself.
regards and thanks.
blondesarah
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These tortoise are way to young to be mating and laying eggs. Horsfields need to be at least 10 years old to lay.
It is cruel to keep them togther. I have two females and 1 male. But i cannot keep them togther the male bites her and she stops eating and goes crazy. Please please split them up else it will really stress her out
328jackie
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These tortoise that are (we think doing the dirty) obviously one is on-top of the other as best tortoises can be and on will squeel. is this the mating process or are they just playing or fighting>
any replys appreciated.
blondesarah
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is the mating process, Can i ask how big they are and are you sure they are 4 years old?
328jackie
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend was told by the pet shop that they were 4 yrs old and always lived together. How can we be a bit surer of their age? Is it to do with their size or is it like a tree and it depends on the growth rings on their shells. The mate goes by the heat mat(on the wall) and the female goes under a log and burrows into a hole. tank is 4ft by 2.5ft ish. But female still not eating much if anything. When let out to runabout kitchen floor She moves about a lot and he goes to a dark place and hides. Totally opposite to the tank behavior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: