Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cynops Orientalis (chinese firebellied newt)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickded
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Cynops Orientalis (chinese firebellied newt) Reply with quote

Hello again everyone my D.I.Y. filter for Amphibians etc seems to have brought some interest judging from the mail I have received since my original post. I thought I would post my latest version in action in my new Newt tank. There is nobody at home there yet, but a trio of the above (from Andrew) will be here soon. As usual the filter plan and details of this setup is available from me by mail, should anyone be interested.The filter will be hidden when the plants are grown a bit more.
Regards.
mickded.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, what size tank you using for the trio?

I notice you have some live plants in there, are you using a plant tube at all, if so which one please?

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, what size tank you using for the trio?

I notice you have some live plants in there, are you using a plant tube at all, if so which one please?

mickded
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Cynops Orientalis Tank. Reply with quote

Hello Rickeezee, thanks for your reply. The tank is 24x12x12, and I used a 15inch planting trough for the land area, a small 1/4inch hole was made at one end of the trough to let water in, once filled to just below the top with compost the trough is watered heavily this makes it sink level, and the hole allows the compost to stay wet. As long as small marginal pond type plants are used or shade and moisture loving plants ,all should be fine. The small pump is filled with filter medium, and of course my D.I.Y. filter is filled with medium also, the outlet allows the filtered water to enter the water section of the tank just above the rim of the trough. The land area is then covered with moss and other decor, just to make it suitable for the Newts and to make it look attractive, the water area is then planted with plants like watercress(overlooked by most people)which quickly establishes itself and makes matted roots in the sand and the water.
Regards.
mickded.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my newts;

I like the idea of the planting trough, I was thinking of using some kind of trough with a base layer of leca and then a planting medium, was going to use a non uva/b light for plant growth, moss on land and some terrarium plants and a variety of cold water plants for the water area. With plenty of hidey holes here and there.

For salamanders, 80% land area rest very shallow water trough, leca again, plants hides, plant light, moss etc, and a plant growth substrate but with European custodian insects in the substrate to help preserve the naturalistic environment.

mickded
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Cynops Orientalis setup Reply with quote

Hello again Rickeezee, the plastic trough is certainly the way to go, makes life easy and if well covered up gives pleasing looks and some height. Planting with the correct plants is all important, bearing in mind that my setup is in our coolest room(for the newts sake)and gets daylight only through the window, and making sure of course that the sun does not get directly onto the tank. I have a UV tube for the home grown lid of my setup, but because of the increase of heat(although the top is well vented)I shall probably not have to use the tube. Have attached another pic showing my D.I.Y. filter in place more clearly.
Regards.
mickded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: