Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rodent Breeding - systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Rodent Breeding - systems Reply with quote

Just curious to see what systems other people are using for producing their own rodents, also what diets they are using?

I currently run two systems for mice, one for producing pinks and fluffs and the other for weaned mice.

For pinks and fluffs I house females in large rat size cages, kept approx 40 females and 4-8 males. Each week I remove pregnant females and place then in smaller cages with up to 3 per cage. This allows the females to 'relax' without hassle from any others. I have found that I get maximum number of pinks and fluffs with this method, average 10 -12 per female, sometimes up to 18. When the pinks or fluffs are the right size I place the females back in a breeding box and 'use' the pinks etc. This basically gives me a rack full of pinks at all times and another rack full of breeding females.

For weaned mice I house females in smaller cages, 1 male with 5 females. This yields less in number per female, ave 8 - 10 but due to less disturbance and more space they are easier to produce weaned mice.

Food wise, I use a high protein dog biscuit.

Anyone else using this or different systems?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Fixx
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the time, space nor the patience to breed our own, and I'm also a bit 'squeamish' about the thought of culling them myself as well, and though Lou assures me she could, I know she is as soft as I am where animals are concerned. So we use the 'Frigidaire' system here, all kept in a big poly tub in a big white box, kept at around -15C. We don't seem to be having much breeding success though, any suggestions?

Sounds like a good system you have there Scott, do you use CO2 or the 'bonk on the head' method to cull?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.......the 'Frigidaire' methods seems to work well for a lot of people...certainly cheaper on the mouse food bills Laughing You could try making sure you have the right sexes in each plastic tub Wink Laughing

I use Co2, seems far kinder and easier when you get in reasonable numbers

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
cornfan
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't currently breed for pinks or fluffs and let all of mine grow up.

I have mine in cages with a ratio of 1:5 for the fancy mice and 1:3 for the multi-mammates. I seperate the young from the adults when they're weaned and they go into growing tubs until it's time for the green mile when they're gassed.

Food-wise I get giant sacks of rabbit food and mix that in with a multitude of bits and pieces including complete dog food, cornflakes, peanuts etc. etc. and this seems to be quite popular. I might try to get some pig pellets at some point and see how they like them.

Reptile Lover
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the term 'green mile'....my mouse room door is green...I may continue the green all the way to the gas chamber Laughing

The pig pellet is NOT really eaten thru choice, if you feed both you will probably find they will leave the pig pellets, if however you try a dog biscuit they normally eat that over most other foods plus it doesn't drop thru the food hopper.

I'm sure the 'mixed' diet you offer is great, I was just thinking of the way the lab cages are designed to hold the food up out the way but with your mix a lot will just drop straight thru leading to wastage or if you go over to food bowls you can get defecation in the food and plus the extra time of having to open the cage to feed.

damotheblue
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im currently use a rack i built myself housing 1:3 and just culling what i need whatever is left i separate males from females and grow them for the adults i only have three colonies at present, i also feed them high protein dog food. if anyone has the dimensions of the mice lab cages that would be a help.
cornfan
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand of dog food do you use, Scott? The one that I've been using is always the last thing to be eaten by the mice..... I'm thinking that yours is probably better if they eat that first...

I'm never using food bowls again. Used them for a long time until one day two young mm's got caught underneath of an upturned bowl and both died as a result with the others sitting on top. That was awful.

Reptile Lover
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this Tanya

cornfan
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I've never seen that make... where do you get it from?

Reptile Lover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: