Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my axolotyl babies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: my axolotyl babies Reply with quote

This is a the axie nursery, thought I'd share.
love Jan The waters cloudy as theyve just chowed down on a pile of micro worm by the way!!!
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buba axies very cool! You should post some pics of mum and dad to!

Very Happy

peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh lovely, how many are in there?? Very Happy

Still looking for some myself.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done, what colours are they?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm really not sure what colours they'll end up. I did try to follow the genetics thing on a caudata site but after 5 minutes my head hurt!!!, a scientific brain I do not have/ At the moment the majority of them are dark brown with gold speckling and black eyes 3 of them are a very light brown with light eyes.The failing of the brine shrimp is causing me a lot of worries right now as I know they are the preffered food but for some reason mine arent hatching at all, But despite that the babies are growing and have nice full round bellies and should start developing limb buds very soon.Thanks for your interest in them ,love Jan
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, dark eyes on adult pink denotes not full albino, where as light eyes on adult pink denotes full albino, my knowledge is not that good yet on axies so I may be well wrong. Embarassed

At what age can they be sexed Jan, how old are they now? At what age will you be able to tell what the adults colours will be? At what point will you get feed up with me asking so many questions Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Razz Ask away Rick, I am known for my infinate patience!!!. The babies hatched out on 28th March, I honestly dont know when the true colours start to show and as for sexing them, an expert could tell quite early on I guess ,however the only way I have ever been able to sex mine is by the swollen cloacea in the males, plus when in breeding condition the light coloured axies develop "dirty hands" inky patches as if covered in newsprint. There are subtle differences in the sexes head shapes and general body contours but I am not experienced enough to spot them yet- sorry. I will let them go to their new forever homes once they are about an inch big OR have all their limbs and are feeding well. I am very biased towards axies as I really do beleive they are one of the most perfect amphib pets available and are simply adorable when they pop up to the top of the tank to beg for food!
Love Jan
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info Jan, and your infinite patience Laughing

Axies fascinate me and I am learning all I can about them. I have a yen for all things amphibious, it is a childhood thing dating back to when I used to go newting and frogging. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: