Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

V. glebopalma in Europe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AS
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: V. glebopalma in Europe? Reply with quote

I did a search on a U.S monitor lizard forum to see if anyone had any information on this species in captivity (O.K, so the chances of actually seeing one outside of Australia are pretty slim but it's important to dream right?) Anyway, I found an old post by Frank Retes saying that he had tried to import some from Europe. Is anyone here aware of glebopalma being kept in Europe, any idea if they have been bred or not? This species has always been one of my favourites and the idea that they might be available to me someday is pretty exciting. What about their captive care anyone have any ideas or opinions on how they should be maintained?
Thanks, PP
Sean
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of glebopalma in Europe but I am yet to see any so until I see proof I am not sure. I was told by one guy that he had one animal and also told of another group of animals maybe 3. I do not think that you will see captivebred specimens for a long time and may be never because if there in Europe then there must only be a few, besides that they would be very expensive I would imagine 2-3 times more than pilbara's cost.
AS
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate what you say about their rarity and potential high cost, but man I would sell my soul for a pair of those. They are awesome, look just like a miniature perentie. So, do you have any info on their requirements, any ideas of your own based on what little is published about them? I was told (hypothetically) that they were just like an oversized tristis and should be maintained as such.
Thanks,AS
Sean
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that they could be kept the same as pilbarensis, glauerti or tristis although I have heard that they are less arboreal than the 3 previous species but I do not know whether this is true or not.
arborgoanna
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of two people who keep Varanus glebopalma in Australia. Both keep several species of native goannas, and both have told me that the V. glebopalmas are their least favorite, due to their extreme nervousness and skittishness. They hide all the time and are very rarely seen, and whenever either of them enter their herp rooms, the monitors dart off to the nearest crevice in a flash. From all that I have gathered from these two keeper's experiences, they are very similar in behavior and timidness to the Timor monitor complex, and exhibit what is commonly referred to(at least over here in the states) as the "empty cage syndrome", as they are constantly hiding. They make terrible captives, from what I am told.

Another thing to consider is that although there are some striking individuals(which may resemble miniature Perenties), most are actually quite dull in coloration, with very little or no contrasting ocelli patterning in the face, throat, and neck. I have seen photographs of the V. glebopalma that were imported(smuggled?) into the US from Europe about 10 years ago, and I must say that they looked like poo! If these individuals are of the same lineage or locality as the ones that are currently in Europe(if there are any still present), I would not waste the insane amount of money which they would probably command, as they are poor representatives of V. glebopalma.

If you are really interested in learning more about V. glebopalma(beyond the confines of captivity), I suggest you read some of the academic litertaure written on V. glebopalma and their corresponding group of "rock monitors". An excellent monograph to read, is a very comprehensive study conducted by Sam Sweet, which examines the spatial ecology of Varanus glebopalma and V. glauerti in northern Australia(western Arnhem Land) over 10 months. This 50 page monograph covers their daily/weekly/monthly activity patterns, home ranges, territories, range overlaps, intra-specific interractions/encounters, microhabitat/niche selection, and many notes and observations of their alert and skittish behavior(when compared to V. glauerti- which lived sympatrically with V. glebopalma on the study site).

For those of you interested in this paper, which I highly recommend to all varanid enthusiasts, the reference is:

Sweet, S.S. 1999. Spatial ecology of Varanus glauerti and V. glebopalma in northern Australia. Advances in monitor research II. Mertensiella. 11: 317-366

Unfortunately I do not have this paper in electronic format, otherwise I'd email it to those interested; all I have is the hard copy.

Cheers,

Bob
varanus
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Mr Sweet is open to email and happy to send electronic format copys if anyone wants to contact him Ive spoken to him in the past via varanus.net as i recall he was very helpfull indeed
Sean
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was going to add this too Bob that not all glebopalma look like mini perentie's. I have seen photos of some quite dull brown looking ones with virtually no pattern contrast. Having said this though I suppose that you get good and bad looking examples in most if not all varanids.

The main varius lineage in Europe is of a black quite dull looking specimens then on the other hand I seen another rarer lineage that is bluish/black yellow/white striping with high contrast probably the best varius I have ever seen.

Yeah I used to keep similis and I never saw them when they knew I was about as soon as they heard me enter the room they would scatter into their logs.
AS
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you all mean about some glebs looking dull, but the nice ones sure sure are pretty. Does anyone have an email for Sam Sweet, other than varanus.net, I was aware that he had done a study I just didn't know how to get a copy. To those people who know the Australian keepers, what do they feed them, obviously it would be illegal to take the lizards they feed on out of the wild. Pro Products make a video monitor to use for herp rooms, you could use that to observe them without causing them undue stress. I was aware they were pretty nervous but for me that would do little to offset the privilege of being able to work with this monitor(anyway this is all academic, since reports of European specimens are unsubstantiated)
Thanks,AS
arborgoanna
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara campus, and you can contact him at ssweet@lifesci.ucsb.edu

You can also find him on the http://www.treemonitors.com chat almost nightly(US-time). Sam is a great guy, and has always been extremely helpful. As far as obtaining a copy of the paper, I think that you'll be better off locating a copy of the Mertensiella edition in a nearby university library, as I do not believe he has the glauerti/glebo paper in electronic format.

That Mertensiella edition is an invaluable resource for the varanid enthusiast, as it includes all of the papers presented at the Varanid Symposium held in Bonn, Germany in 1999, I believe. Dozens of monographs written on various aspects of varanid biology. I am awaiting the release of the more recent Mertensiella edition, which will include all manuscripts presented at the Bonn symposium held this past autumn.

Good luck,

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: