Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chamaeleo (Triceros) melleri
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JStroud wrote:
Absolutely awesome mate, best of luck Cool

Thank you Mr S. Very Happy

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mememe wrote:
Hopefully you can get some nice CB babies!

It would be nice although they are hard to breed in captivity.

I think that's probably why the only ones I have seen for sale are all WC. The WC ones range from about 125 up to 200 quid approx; depending upon size.

Perhaps achieving CB mellors is too costly and not enough profit in it for commercial breeders, I don't honestly know. Taking into account the age requirements before breeding and the lengthy breeding process and only breeding once per year, perhaps this makes them unviable as a commercial proposition? Again I don't know. Also they require a huge amount of space, the viv I have them in is temporary until my rep house is complete then I shall build a large enclosure for them probably about 8 feet tall, 8 or 9 feet wide and three deep.

I am not into the commercial side of cham keeping, not saying there is anything wrong with this at all, but for me it would ruin the pleasure as the commercial pressures would take over. I much prefer to just enjoy the herps and have the time to observe their individual behaviours and learn about them. If they have babies all well and good as I see this as part of the hobby and another aspect to keeping herps and another opportunity to learn.

I would love to be able to breed them, I think they are an amazing chameleon that has a lot to offer the hobbyist in terms of a different style of cham keeping and husbandry, they are quite unique in their requirements and behaviours. It would be nice to see more people keeping them.

Very Happy

Thomas Shanta
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with them Rick,do you know if they predate on other vertabrates in the wild coz they are massive.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Shanta wrote:
Good luck with them Rick,do you know if they predate on other vertabrates in the wild coz they are massive.

Thanks; as far as I know yes they do. Will get some pics when they are comfortable with it that show their size more readily. Very Happy

JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick I'm not too sure they are that hard to breed privately Wink A friend bred his adult wc/ltc pair last year and said the female even used an egg box provided to lay in. All the baby cb ones I've seen from others that came in at the same time have gone for around £125 each? Which seems incredibly cheap for an animal of this stature but I suppose large clutch sizes and small demand forces it...anyway best of luck, make sure you post some update pictures...as if you need encouragement Laughing
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JStroud wrote:
Rick I'm not too sure they are that hard to breed privately Wink A friend bred his adult wc/ltc pair last year and said the female even used an egg box provided to lay in. All the baby cb ones I've seen from others that came in at the same time have gone for around £125 each? Which seems incredibly cheap for an animal of this stature but I suppose large clutch sizes and small demand forces it...anyway best of luck, make sure you post some update pictures...as if you need encouragement Laughing

Thanks James much appreciated; don't worry bound to be lots of pics as my digital camera never seems to run out of film, clever that! Shocked Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: