Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Centipede eating a mouse video
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serpent
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Centipede eating a mouse video Reply with quote

Centipede eating a mouse video

Cant say that i agree with this but it makes interesting video's

BE WARNED THESE ARE GORY VIDEOS NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH

A giant centipede, scolopendra gigantea robusta, killing and eating a mouse. This specimen was not yet full grown but as you can see, it was already an impressive size.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8CL2hetqpfg

Second video is worse and i think wrong but here it is, make your own mind up

This is another species of giant centipede, a full-grown scolopendra viridicoris killing and eating a mouse. Centipedes have very poor eyesight and this mouse was very adept at staying out of harms way
Note that the centipede is very ambidextrous and actually catches the prey with its hind legs first, and then doesn't bite it until it has located it's throat.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3APJA0EedSE&search=giant%20centipede%20scolopendra%20gigantea%20robusta%20eating%20mouse
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certainly interesting, wouldn't want a bite off one.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Predation at its best!

Scott I still rate my pedes against your gambian puched rats! Laughing

Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn`t want a bite either! If we allow the human emotion of "Pity" for the mouse kick in , then this appears wrong. Pity however is certainly an experience that neither centipedes nor mice are familiar with. The centipede is only afterall doing what comes naturally , admittedlt however in a captive situation.
It`s an old chestnut that has been discussed a myriad times and will again in the snake keeping hobby. I personally would feel more comfortable feeding defrosted rodents than live, although the well being of the captive animal is paramount and if on occasion live feeding is neccessary , (such as reluctant to feed neonates or wild caught adult`s of certain species of snake for example) then I do not see a problem with it. The utmost respect must be given to the prey species however, and unnecessary suffering must be prevented, for the welfare and for our hobby. This video, although interesting, is just the sort of thing that seen by the wrong people, and I guarantee it will be, ignites and recruits yet more bunny huggers to campaign against keeping exotic animals in captivity.
My African bull fog , for example, is very partial to the odd mouse. As anybody knows that keeps or has kept frogs of any kind, food for frogs MUST be moving otherwise it will not be recognised as food by the frog/toad and the animal will not feed. Simple as that. My bull frog is only to happy to except defrosted mice that I feed him from my hand. I just create the illusion of a living animal by making the dead mouse "move" ever so slightly between my fingers.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree where does one draw the line we feed crickets and locusts on a daily basis.

My crix and locusts colonies receive 100% care whether they be feeders or breeders, fresh veg daily, heat mats, halogen lights , regular cleaning etc.

Yes all respect must be given to the prey animal, but we must not attach human emotions to animals either. yes they will sense fear as a survival instinct as they do in the wild.

I dare say some antis could come up with arguments against, but we are trying our best to replicate conditions found in the wild in a captive environment.

Without some speices being captive housed and bred there is a danger that they may well cease to exist! Look at what man is doing to their natural habitat.

Perhaps when the antis invest their pound at their local bank they need to look at what companies the banks invest in? Are they ethical, same with buying any product, do the manufactures always support ethical investments and ethical ways of producing goods including sourcing raw materials? I bet not cause it's all about profit, and keeping the shareholder happy!

Just a view but perhaps the bigger picture is just that, and the fundamental sociological issues, commercial factors and environmental issues need to be more closely examined within our society?

Not to mention mans inhumanity against fellow man! Nuff said!

We are far from a Utopian world never mind eh!

-

Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Rick but you or anyone else won`t be able to convince the anti`s. Their minds are made up and they will not listen.What I mean about videos like that is that if seen by them it will only antagonise them further.

If it can stir emotions in logically thinking animal lovers, such as Serpent for example who obviously doesn`t sit entirely comfortably with it, then imagine the hornets nest that would be stirred up if a devout anti saw it and imagine how it would or probably will be used to recruit more antis or get previously uninterested people to sign petitions etc

I just think it a little irresponsible. Just my opinion
www.btcvcymru.org
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comment and I see where your comming from.

Some people will never change their opinions, my view is they should concentrate their efforts on the bigger issues as per my previous post.

Just wishful thinking on my part but one lives in hope. Better than living in Herne Bay"!

Laughing

Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a girl once called Hope! Shocked
www.btcvcymru.org
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew her sisters, Faith and Charity!

Laughing

They ate live mice to!

Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
www.btcvcymru.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: