Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kimberly Rock monitor - questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Kimberly Rock monitor - questions Reply with quote

It's my hubby's birthday in May and I would dearly love to get him something special, something he's been drooling after.

Now I know he has a thing for Kimberly Rock Monitors, can anyone please link me to a worthwhile care sheet, be much appreciated Smile

Any advice on keeping this species would be very welcome, I did read somewhere that their basking spot should be 135f, is that right?

Also, if anyone know where I could find one, I'm in Somerset, willing to travel a bit but not too far cause I ain't the best driving on motorways lol Laughing
uk goannas
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there I Wrote an article in the current reptile care on Kim's, all the info u need is in there, 135f for a basking spot is about right although this is hard to produce without burning the lizard but it can be done! If you want any specific info just pm me and i will be more than willing to help.

PS. I have some available.
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I shall now go and order the mag and have a good read, One questions though, are they happier kept on their own or in a group?
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have pm'd you uk goannas Wink
stu__r
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe i did the other day as well but i see he hasn't been on in the last 24 hours or so.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are happy on there own or in pairs etc. I have a stunning male just over a year or so, he lives on his own and takes food from my hand etc....although the minute a camera comes close he runs!

You can treat them like any of the other dwarf monitors, I currently have over 12 adults, most are in pairs or trios except for that one lone male. Here's a caresheet for ackies that works the same for my Kimberlys http://www.captivebred.co.uk/k_B_ackies.htm.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Scott, the link doesn't work for me though Sad

Right, now just to decide, on a pair or single. However just concerned about premature mating if we got a 1.1 pair.

Quick question about enclosure, when we get round to decorate, I'm hoping to build a viv for them in an alcove, 6ft long by 18 inches depth, is the depth ok for an adult?

When I say I'm building, I mean Hubby lol Very Happy I suppose I'd better tell him what I'm planning for him, so he can get building lmao
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't need to worry about premature matings, THEY know when they are ready to breed Wink .

Cage size, 6ft by 18" x 18"? that would be fine although 6ft long, 2ft wide and two ft tall would be even better...will allow you to make it more rocky and natural if you wanted.

You would be very unlikely to find an adult pair or even a sexed pair, unsexed juvs are available as are adult males. You just need to decide what you want from keeping them, a friendly pet or a natural display and hopefully breeding animals.

Try this link http://www.captivebred.co.uk/k_B_ackies.htm

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh that links works. cheers Scott.

unsexed juvs would be fine then if they know when to breed lol Laughing

2foot depth then ok, height wise is no probs, just build to their needs.

With regards to friendly pet or breeding - I want both of course lmao, nah I'll talk to hubby and see what he wants, they're for him after all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: