Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sand!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman sam
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: sand! Reply with quote

does anyone know if its ok to use washed kids play sand as a substrate Question and is there any plants that are safe to put in the viv as i've seen some pics on an american site of a viv with spineless cactus in and other various plants Question cheers Smile ( its for beardies )
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

childrens play sand is fine, just takes a long time to dry before you can use it.

Beardeds will tend to eat any plants that you try, so make sure that they are harmless if ingested. You could try Ficus plants, I use them for my Fiji Igs and Chameleons, the chameleons eat the leaves regularly without problems.
jojo
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm planning on moving my beardies onto a sand substrate. I figure play sand would be best. But how do i prepare this before putting it in the vivs?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jojo wrote:
i'm planning on moving my beardies onto a sand substrate. I figure play sand would be best. But how do i prepare this before putting it in the vivs?

The only preperation needed for childrens play sand is to make sure it is 100% dry.

No real short cuts for drying it, but the more you can spread it about in thin layers the quicker it will dry. If you have space, you can spread it over black bin bags in a spare room and wait a few days until it is bone dry.
jojo
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks - my beardies are moving into the spare room out of their vivs actually so i will spread it over the floor where they will be and not move them out of their vivs till it is completely dry.
What sort of depth should it be, and how often should i clean it/replace it?
I used sand when my beardies were younger but had problems with it, so want to make sure everything is perfect this time around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: