Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

baby beardies wont eat veg!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman sam
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: baby beardies wont eat veg!!!!!!! Reply with quote

hi everyone Smile
i'm new to the forum and to keeping beardies,i purchased a pair of 4 week old beardies just before xmas from captive bred ( highly recommended ) there both very happy in their new home and both are eating 5-6 crickets a day and growing very fast the only problem is they won't eat any greens Crying or Very sad , i've tried most things,broccoli,courgette,kiwi,water cress its been chopped small enough but they don't even touch it can anyone help please? and does it affect them not havin greens? i look forward to hearing from you many thanks F.S
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gav,

They were feeding on shredded greens (spring green). If they are a bit fussy now, try not feeding any crickets in the morning, take out the water bowl for a few hours, then place some shredded greens (anything, they loved broccolli too) and spray the green with water.

That quite often gets them interested again. If not, try some iceburg lettuce but once they are taking it, don't let them have too much.

I wouldn't worry too much if they don't touch greens, some are never fussed about them and will still grow quick, strong and healthy.

Regards
Scott
d4nclark
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was quite lucky with mine. They started eating greens almost straight away. Mine has a liking for Cauliflower Leaves.
JohnC
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that individual beardies vary in their liking for greens.
An adult pair that I have had for 18 months during which time they bred and eggs were laid, provided the extreme. The female never ate any greens all the time I had her. The male ate collard greens freely every day.
When they are only a few weeks old, I have found that they generally don't eat much veg. Some will eat a bit, some none.
As they get older, they turn to veg more.
I have two of my own breeding which are 4 months old now. I give them greens in the early afternoon and they usually eat some. Then I give crix after tea. If I give the crix first, they fill up with them and eat less greens.
Hope that helps.
Incidentally, collard greens are probably the best greens for them, they have a good calcium content. They are sold in the UK in supermarkets as Spring Greens (Asda) or Fresh Greens (Morrisons). They look like a cross between cabbage and Kale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: