Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DOG ALERT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: DOG ALERT Reply with quote

Hi
I have very sad news Crying or Very sad , I read about the tortoise tables, how much better they are for the wee fellows, but there is a hidden danger, "other pets". I put my wee baby in his new table last night but woke at 5.30 am to the sound of crunching, I thought my dog had got his biscuits but it was my baby, he killed and ate him. I am digusted and deeply upset and very very ashamed. I thought my poor baby would be safe as the table was 4ft high with another 6 inches for the sides but the dog still got him, so please please be careful. My dog is a labradore which are supposed to be the gentleist of dogs but it's not always the case.I now cannot forgive or trust my dog with my other pets and children,so I am re-homing him today, just thought I should warn folk, esp as I was told by the pet shop where I got him that dogs and torts should get along, so again please beware of the advice you are given, best places to get a tort is a breeder or somone who knows what they are talking about, I am just sorry I found out the hard way, at the expense of my poor Leo.Not sure I'll be getting another memory would be too painful so i'll say goodbye and good luck.

Diane x
AW
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That`s so sad about your tortoise. But please don`t get rid of your dog because of it, he was only doing what is natural. It`s not his fault, I have two tiny dogs and i wouldn`t even think of trusting them near my tortoise and they are completely pampered pooches. I bought a tortoise table from pets at home with a plastic coated grill on the top that you can open. Even when my tortoise gets big i would never leave my dogs unsupervised near them. I`m sorry but it`s natural behaviour for dogs and always will be. One of my dogs brought a dead bird in and put it on my bed, i freaked out but when i calmed down i realised he thought he was being good showing it to me, animals don`t think like us, You shouldn`t let it stop you getting another tortoise there alot of animals in need of good homes. Wink
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the last post. Sure you must be feeling VERY fed up but it was I am afraid just a case of a dog doing what comes naturally. He isn`t human and will have no idea of what he has done wrong in your eyes. All he can sense now is that you are all of a sudden not friendly towards him and will be totally confused.

Learn by it and sorry if I sound harsh, I really don`t mean too, I have made mistakes , some of them being quite a wrench too, and exept that it was human error and leaving a dog that can reach a tortoise off a table just as he could a biscuit off a table, was an unfortunate mistake which you wont repeat.

Don`t let it defeat you! Get yourself another tortoise, keep your family pet, the labrador and enjoy them both. Just keep them apart.

I have an African grey and PLENTY of other animals that would quite happily eat him, and would be doing nothing WRONG if they did, I just keep them apart.

I am so sorry it happened but take the positive from it. Learning anything the hard way normally means you wont let it happen again. I should know!

Please don`t re-home your dog for being a dog, he already has a home.

I wish you good luck in the future, and yes, seek out a private breeder next time. There are plenty of people here that will help. Including me if you ask!

All the best Diane
Pete
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Diane
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: dog alert Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks, Yes I have learnt my lesson but I wont be getting another, I would be too afraid same thing happened as I have young children, and whilst I can keep them apart the children may forget, maybe when they and Toby is older.I will be keeping Toby though and as my distress and hurt have subsided a little I have come to realise it wasn't Toby's fault but mine.thankfully and I dont mean to sound cold hearted but I only had him 3 weeks or so, so I hadn't grown so attached to him I am just sad it had to happen, I hate any animal being hurt or injured or killed.I too have an african grey and Toby wouldn't dare mess with her for fear of his nose being bitten.Thanks for you message though I appreciate it,made me think again about re-homing the dog.

Diane

xx
AW
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad you`re going to keep you`re dog, I do understand you must be really upset it`s a terrible thing but you will feel better very soon. Have a think on what i said about the shop pets at home, they sell large tables with thick plastic covered wire roofs(25.00). They clip on safely and you can lock them aswell, child and animal proof. I`m sure when you feel better you might change your mind and get another tortoise as i`ve read a few of your posts and you sound like you gave Leo a lovely place to live. Good luck and hope you feel ok v soon. Wink
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I`m so glad you`re keeping your dog! Very Happy

You could always try a vivarium. A bit of customising by cutting sizeable ventilation panels both ends, one high one low, and covering with mesh, and you would have a lockable tortoise enclosure.

Have a think!

Yes Wilfie (my African grey) sees off most canine aggressors, but I wouldn`t fancy his chances with my pythons!

All the best Very Happy
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diane,

Really sorry to read that, these things happen and theres nothing we can do other than learn from it. I'm glad you felt able to post this experiance on the captivebred forum.

Take care & don't blame yourself or the dog.

kind regards,
Scott

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: