Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone keeping boigas?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What irregularis like to keep Iri? Have never seen them available here but did hear Jersey Zoo were doing an exhibit on them and were struggling to find specimens.
zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have just brought some irregularis in for a friend.

Iri, any tips on getting cynodon or nigraceps feeding? So far one nigraceps has taken a couple of rat pups and a cynodon has taken a chicken egg.( this is Petes other half, I think I met you very briefly at the FBH conference)
pmpimbura
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irregularis were widely available around 6/7 years ago. They were probably the most agressive boiga iv worked with what ever the time of day it was, most other boiga tend to be more agressive at night. All the specimens i wrked with were quite ill tempered. They varied a fair bit in colouration.

Iri Gill
zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, two of the 8ft cynodon are a little agggressive, but all 3 nigraceps are very placid.
pmpimbura
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi angi yes we did meet briefly at the conference. I've generally found with boigas after two or so assist feedings on small prey items they will start to take prey themselves. Naturally they feed at night altough once settled they tend to take whenever. I used to spray the viv and hour or 2 before the lights went out then feed later that evening. U've probable noticed that they always seem interested but never actually take, they will eventually they always give in. LOl! I used odur manipulation once or twice with nigriceps using lizards, and that wrked, but they also had alot of arboreal cover which as u know helps. See how u get on and ill try and think of some more things ive tried

Reagrds
Iri Gill
pmpimbura
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah my nigriceps were fine too. Get them out in the middle of the night and se how there temprement changes. My cyanea are fine during the day and wont stop striking at night (even when im sleeping u can hear them bouncing off the glass). Ive noticed the same thing with dendrophilia.

Iri Gill
zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had experience with cyanea and I know what you mean about them being interested but taking ages to actually feed. The nigraceps appear similar in temperment, but I feel the cynodon are either a little stressed or skittish.
We are trying chicks tonight, so will see how that goes, plus Pete and Adam have a good idea with them too.

Im trying to gather as much info as possible about boigas, something Ive been doing for a couple of years now, theyre probably my favourite species of snakes. So far Ive learned more from experienced keepers than reading, which is why I thought I would ask on the forums.
If I can successfully keep the Cynodon and Nigraceps, then I will have two breeding groups and most certainly intend to breed them and hopefully we can help Matt out with some cynodon too, fingers crossed.
pmpimbura
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think my cyanea are gravid Laughing
photographymatt
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feed chicks, break the beaks and claws off them. I dont know if its 100% needed to be done..but I have heard horror storys about those bits hurting the insides of snakes. I know someone who got his mangroves feeding on chicks. Tree snakes, most people think they only eat lizards...but trees....have birds in them:-)

have you tried making a soup of geckos/small lizards and freezing it, then rubbing rodents on it? I have a friend in sweden who had success doing so with boiga Dend.

might have a spare blandings shortly after may, would also want it feeding before I let him/her go but you will be the first I contact. And I didnt know they were reclassifed. Those wacky americans with their constant changing of latin names, as if remembering them wasnt hard enough:-D hehe

Im sure you will get them all feeding angi:-) and pmpimbura, if your cyanea is gravid...and you havnt sold them yet;-) I would be very interested in one, female if poss.

angi, I didnt know it was legal to get brown tree snakes in the uk..or anywhere. I know someone who could do with some, for research purposes, but I would love one myself. As bad as it is for the bird life on guam, I find the brown tree snakes life on that island very interesting. It has destroyed lots of sp of bird and other animal life, and it has no predators. Some even get big enough to see small children sleeping as possible prey items:-) Its amazing what an alien sp can do to a new land.

also angi...lol, your pm on Venomlist. your stalking me;-) The world needs more boiga-nuts:-)

I think I will be sad when dannie goes into his adult colors as baby boiga cyanea are cute *ahem*

peace
matt H
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: