Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learnign about Chameleons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Learnign about Chameleons Reply with quote

Varanus made a very good point, on another thread re; panther temperatures, he stated; depends upon the individual panther, (in relation to temperature requirements).

This got me thinking; obviously there will be basic parameters of the specific care that is required for each locale / species of chameleon.

Taking that further I guess these parameters will need to be tweaked based upon individual chameleon need, I would presume that even then further tweaking would be required at different times as the chams needs change, e.g. young / old, seasonal changes, health needs and so forth.

In a post by Varanus he shared his own experiences of his chams that all preferred different temperatures. Over a period of time via trial and error he has learnt the individual needs of his chams, way to go.

In turn this led my thinking along another path. When we start out learning new things e.g. keeping chameleons, reptiles, a new job, a new skill etc. We commence learning at point a, then point b, c and so on. At the novice / beginner stage, IMO, we tend to think more concretely as we want to get it right and there is a steep learning curve. We tend to stick to the set parameters for fear of getting it wrong and also because we have not yet built up our own experience via experiential learning.

As our experience and learning develops we find that it is Ok to move away from some basic set parameters, and develop skills / knowledge that best fits the need at the time e.g. individual chameleon requirements.

The post by Varanus led my thinking then deeper (a very scary thing) Very Happy. It reminded me of a theory, a theory that is widely accepted within certain fields. Sorry but I forget the main theorists names. The theory can be applied to any learning situation, profession etc.

Cognitive Continuum Theory (CCT)

http://ideas.repec.org/p/dgr/umamet/2003045.html
Antecedents of Effective Decision Making A Cognitive Approach

Dunno if the above links will work, not read the site yet, just found it on a quick search.

Above theory CCT is concerned with defining Novice stages through to advanced practitioner level. It deals with learning curves and ultimately how we make decisions, solve problems and the thought processes that are involved.

In brief the theory suggests ; that at novice level we think in strict a, b, c, terms as our knowledge skill increases via different learning methodology, we process information on the particular subject more quickly and are able to problem solve re; specific subject, more quickly until we reach a point of being an advanced practitioner. At this point we do not need to necessarily go through a,b,c, type thinking, but we rapidly assimilate information and problem solve pertaining to the particular learnt subject. Some people may call this / or refer to it as; instinctive knowing, gut feeling.

So at novice stage we actively think in a,b,c, terms (strict cognitive thinking, where we hear our inner thoughts and are aware we are thinking and what we are thinking about) ), at advanced practitioner level our thought processes are led by the sub-conscious mind, thinking, problem solving processes etc are automatic, then passed onto the conscious (cognitive) e.g. we are well versed in a particular field, we encounter a problem that needs solving, our sub-conscious will work on this (utilising our knowledge, skills experiences etc) then pass ideas forward to the conscious (cognitive) everyday mind. At novice level because such knowledge / skill has not yet been formulated we go through this process at a slower pace within the everyday conscious mind.

You can actually re-map how your mind works and thinks, problem solves, change your inner self image, overcome barriers / hang ups in your life etc etc. But this is another subject for another thread! For me I find such things fascinating.

In the chameleon world this gives me a slim hope that I can and will improve my knowledge! Very Happy

Hope someone out there found this of some use or interesting.

Rick

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're spot on with that post, beginners are looking for set parameters for the species for fear of failing but as we know nothing is black & white when it comes to animal keeping.

The way I try to keep my reptiles (new species i'm working with) is to take the decisions away from me and provide set ups that allow the animals to make there own choices regarding temps and hides etc. This isn't always possible but larger vivs always makes this easier, that's why I generally try and recommend a larger size viv than perhaps I use. Once you have built up the experiance you can judge a lot better what the reptiles want.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, so that you are not forceing the animal to make a choice but instead allowing it to make one.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I meant but went about it in a long winded way. Very Happy

Windy Rick

Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all! Totally got what you were saying. Practice makes,...... well maybe not perfect but certainly a lot better.

When starting up in something new, be it reptiles or whatever, it is human nature to want clear and precise instructions to prevent the embarrassment of failure. It`s not always possible though. As regards Reptiles & especially recently available species, it never is.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: