Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just out of curiosity....?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sally
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Just out of curiosity....? Reply with quote

Very Happy Ok, I'm a new member - about to set up a viv in the next month or so for a baby Yemen ( I hope)! My question is, what British bugs can I give him (I'm planning on getting a male Yemen)! I get loadsa grasshoppers in my garden; in my home I get an abundance of daddy long legs at certain times of the year (I use no pesticides in either my home or garden but of course my neighbours might!), Nothing would give me more pleasure than feeding daddy long legs to my Yemen... Oh the joy!.... .but is that ok? If I put my Yemen out on my (south facing supervised) decking say, on a fig tree (yet to buy!), will he be ok because he will be free to eat anything that flies by such as a wasp etc? Is all that ok? Sorry if I sound ignorant, I AM ignorant!!! Smile Is there any indiginous British insect that may be poisonous that may fly in my Yemen's airspace if allowed outside (supervised of course)!???????????????? Love to know!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!????????
sally
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: ps Reply with quote

Very Happy of course I know that I have to give my Yemen a varied diet, cricket, mealworms, locusts etc! just wondering about the above!!! Very Happy
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for bees cats n rats!

sally
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: free food! Reply with quote

Very Happy So are wasps ok then? What joy if they are Laughing I would truly enjoy watching those little bast**ds being eaten!! Mad I hate them more than anything else in the world!!! Mad
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure about any stingy insects really being OK or not for a Yem.

I have seen other animals eating wasps without any ill affect, have seen sparrows eating them. But I would steer clear just in case. A magpie might swoop down and eat him or an owl or some such predator, neighbhours cat? Or the lesser spotted Essex Yemen muncher!

I know bees and wasps are not good for me have to carry anti-histimin in the summer I react quite badly to stings.

In my view if putting him outside on a hot day use a well ventilated enclosure that is 70% in the shade so he can bask or not as he choses. Don't want a fried cham! It may be worth regulating how long he is out there if kept the majority of the time indoors as full sun may be a bit of a shock. Not tried it yet so don't know, just a view. Might be worth reading up on it. I know a lot of the USA cham keepers put theirs outdoors.
I dare say there are people on this forum who have experieance with this.

So after all that I've not really been much help! It's the thought that counts!

Shocked

Rick

Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a thread once on an american forum where a cham ate a wasp.
It got very ill and actually died Shocked
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it wasn't a cham forum where an ................................

Yep best to play safe then. I would imagine if it got stung on that big ole tongue it would cause some problems not to mention anaphylactic shock! (just wanted to see if I could spell it).

Nasty

Sad

Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anaphl... That's what it got (the american that is Laughing )
linda
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actaully found a website about chams and it did say to keep away from insects that sting, i wouldnt want to be stung on the tongue so guess he wouldnt either...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: