Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Varanus panoptes panoptes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hugh
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Varanus panoptes panoptes Reply with quote

Admittedly not dwarf, but fascinating none-the-less.
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating mate, you know I love this species Cool

Very nice set up as well.
Hugh
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theone good egg that the female just produced!
Sean
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she only produced one good egg out of the clutch, then you need to make nesting better for next time. You may have been lucky and this egg may have survived but it sounds to me that she is holding on to them too long because nesting area is not quite suitable or either you did not quite catch the ovulation timing with fertilization and the others remained unfertile. Were all the eggs laid around the same time or were they scattered over several hours?
Hugh
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what the problem was. There is an area of deep sand/soil mix which she was digging furiously in. However, I realised, a little too late, that it wasn't damp enough to hold a burrow. She laid a couple separately at different times, but the rest were all laid together inside a small box. (It was not meant to be a nest box, so was far too small for her to properly lay in.

I am almost certain that this egg will not be valid, despite looking good. But, never mind, at least I know now for next time.

Hugh
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That`s how we learn in this hobby, through trial and error. Good luck and fingers crossed for you for next time.
I love the picture where the animal is approaching the camera with tongue on display. Cracking shot.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Thomas Shanta
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Goannas,and even more awesome looking claws,I bet theirs few animals in their home range that would mess with of these Cool
crocdoc
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that usually gets overlooked for nest sites is temperature. My monitors' nesting area has a thermostatically controlled heat source and it works a treat every time. She's laid as early as 22 days after first mating, which is the shortest time I've heard of for a lace monitor and I think it comes down to confidence with the nest site.

Sean, you can time mating with vitellogenesis, but we have no control over timing ovulation. Ovulation occurs some time after mating.
Sean
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean is the female still ovulates even when there is no copulation or no presence of a male. For example I had a female argus that produced eggs 4 - 5 times a year for about 2 years before I got hold of a male, obviously the eggs were infertile but if I would have had a male and timed it right then they may have been fertile providing the male was good. Yes I agree temperature is important.
crocdoc
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was just being technical. I know what you were getting at and I am aware that females will produce eggs in the absence of the male, but I was referring to this statement which you made:

Sean wrote:
...or either you did not quite catch the ovulation timing with fertilization and the others remained unfertile.

My point is that it isn't the ovulation you have to get the timing right with, it's the vitellogenesis ('cycling'). If you don't pair them up when the female has yolked her ova and is receptive, you may get infertile eggs. By the time the female actually ovulates, it's WAY too late and you've well and truly missed the boat. My female ovulates around 16 days after she and the male have started mating. Mating usually stretches out to ten days max, so that's almost a week after she's stopped being receptive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: