Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lots of questions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
*Red*
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Lots of questions! Reply with quote

Embarassed

Still waiting for my book to turn up so for the moment I'm going to have to harass all of you for the answers I'm afraid!

My uncle is a carpenter and is going to make us a home for our crestie. I've got a couple of suggestions sketched out on paper, it's going to have two glass sides, the other two and the top and bottom will be wood.

I'm just wondering if something around 18" x 18" (1.5ft square) and 30" (2.5ft) high would be big enough for one little fella?
Another thing with making your own.. has anyone on here done it? I need to know what wood would be suitable as it's going to be fairly humid in there at all times, I don't want something that is going to rot. Is there any kind of finish or something I could use to protect the wood but not cause any harm to crestie either?

Another thing... plants. What real plants are suitable to be used? I know they've gotta be fairly hardy what with little guy jumping all over it. I just like the idea of making it as natural as possible! If fake stuff really is hardier then we'll use it... but I'm sure I've seen a picture of someone's viv with a real plant in..?

And one last thing! Substrates... Where do people get their stuff from? I'm wondering if there's a website that deals with supplies etc as we're finding it really hard to find anywhere locally that even stocks the simplest branches, substrates, moss etc! I've seen so many reptile shops in Essex over the years.. and now we need one, they've disappeared!!!!!

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Sarah x
Nerys
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

live plants i use pothos and bamboo, there are others ok to use also

i use ecoearth on the bottom, to about 4 inches deep, and have worms and bettles and things living in the soil also..

mine are in an exoterra Smile

N
jenni270986
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mines the same as nerys, i have a layer of gravel for drainage on the bottom though and a ficus robusta, which they seem to like to spread out on. lol

jenn
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to make your own viv, the sizes you gave a good, can make it out of contiboard (laminated chipboard) this would only need sealing in the edges although it wouldn't last more than a few years. If you make it out of natural wood (pine or even plywood) you will need to varnish it 2 - 3 times (used to use marine varnish), then leave it for a week or so to 'air', you may need to leave it longer....just don't use until the fumes have gone.

You can use a moss peat substrate (from a garden center) or something from a reptile shop. Branches and decor, you can use branches you find out in the woods, just make sure there are no sharp edges, also try to remove loose bark. If possible freeze overnight in the freezer if not you can pour boiling water over it in the bath.

Plants, ficus plants are great, as jenni said they love to lay in the branches (they seem to prefer thin branches).

Good luck.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: