Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Atelopus s barbotini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lou! Very Happy here's hoping eh mate Cool

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice paul!!! anymore details on them?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers mate Very Happy

Not much else to share really as I will be learning more about them as time goes by with them as will every one else who got them Smile

These will be kept in a 100x40x50cm aqua vivarium with running water slowed down by larger rocks plenty of sturdy leafed pants as these little bugges roost at night like birds finding a place a bit off the ground to sleep in
Cool

'm keeping females separate until I wish to attempt breeding them at which point I will add the female to the males vivarium and allow apmlexus to last no more than 2 weeks with out eggs if no eggs are laid in this time I shall remove the females and re introduce in a months time.

I'm trying to order a misting system for them right now bloody paypal is being a bugger Laughing Mad

I'll post a pic of the vivarium once done or you could pop over and see it to discuss you viv Wink toot toot

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
RonW
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ wrote:

'm keeping females separate until I wish to attempt breeding them at which point I will add the female to the males vivarium and allow apmlexus to last no more than 2 weeks with out eggs if no eggs are laid in this time I shall remove the females and re introduce in a months time.

The person who said he kept A.flavescens for years did point out that he witnessed amplexus very often. According to him Atelopus males will hold on to the females until eggs are laid. And seeing as no eggs were produced he was worried they would hold on too long and starve themselves. He separated the happy couples after about 3 days. Apparently keeping the sexes together was not a problem in the long run, but I think your plan of keeping them separate is much better, seeing as they live more or less separate in nature. Are you going to have some seasonal variation (wet/dry season)?
Good luck with them and if you need me to translate you know where to find me Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: