Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Atelopus s barbotini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe so Ron and like you say not been bred...
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonW wrote:
Did he get these from the Netherlands? I just saw that a Dutch firm offers these as imports from Surinam. Not that expensive either.
Apparently you can keep them similar to dart frogs like tinctorius. Don't think they have been bred though.

Hi Ron,

Care is far more complex than that of tinctorius mate, and keeping these like them wouldn't suit them very well. These live next to streams they require a decent water body as well as running water with extremely pure water, captive breeding of these has not yet taken place as this particular species has never been kept in captivity. Other Atelopus toads have been bred such as zeteki (panama golden frog tho these are toads lol) but not in any large amounts and I dont believe any one managed to raise the young.

Stuart why didn't you invite me to such an amazing photo shoot

Shocked Laughing

cracking pictures as per usual Dave!

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Jezz
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave?? Confused

2.1.0 Python Regius
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.0.1 Lampropeltis getulus californiae
1.0.0 Pantherophis guttata guttata
0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius
0.1.0 Testudo hermanni
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezz wrote:
Dave?? Confused

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Baily love.. a famous photographer much like our Stu Cool

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing ..ty mate
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful animals...look even better than they did the other day Very Happy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ wrote:
Care is far more complex than that of tinctorius mate, and keeping these like them wouldn't suit them very well. These live next to streams they require a decent water body as well as running water with extremely pure water, captive breeding of these has not yet taken place as this particular species has never been kept in captivity. Other Atelopus toads have been bred such as zeteki (panama golden frog tho these are toads lol) but not in any large amounts and I dont believe any one managed to raise the young.

Since nobody has kept them you can't really say what sort of care they really need Laughing Not doubting your knowledge here, but I have read a bit on other fora and people who have seen these in nature had a few comments. Since these were in Dutch I'll tranlate a bit:
First, these are lowland species, in contrast to Atelopus species that used to be kept the most in the past. The recommendation is to keep temps and humidity similar to tincs and ventrimaculata who were found in the same environment. Another lowland species, A.flavescens, was kept successfully for years together with dart frogs, although they didn't breed.
It is unclear whether these actually need running water to breed, eggs and tadpoles of A.flavescens were apparently found in a plastic container that was thrown away. Still the best guess was to use running water, maybe ending in some sort of pool with little or no flow. So, yes a good body of water would be necessary.
All in all, quite a few questions left to answer, but that is part of the fun. They may not be too difficult to keep (provided you start with healthy imports), but breeding them is a different matter. I hope someone cracks it, they are stunning little animals and I'd love to have some at some point.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

These are a subspecies of spumarius which have been kept and they really weren't that easy as say tincs and or vent main problems encountered with spumarius imports are these:

apparent nose rubs that are actually fungla infections and suffering from refeeding syndrome so as long as I can crack these and keep these guys healthy I should be OK, these animals are in very good condition for fresh imports which is a bonus with only one animal in this group having nose rub/infection so I'm looking forward to getting them in the vivarium once QT is done.

Also female can suffer egg impactation and or binding which can kill them Sad and since I only have 2 possible females in this group I am hoping to high heaven that this doesn't happen.

And yes it would be fantastic to get these guys breeding which is my main goal Cool

Joe, they are looking better hehe amazing what light can do to the look of an animal Cool

Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How can you then

He isn't!..If you read it back he is stating what others have observed from them in their natural habitats...

Quote:
And you shouldn't be..he's the one keeping these

Owning a species doesn't make you an instant expert.. Wink (no Offence Mj..sure you get my drift)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: