Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezz
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: jesus can people read? Reply with quote

SteveL wrote:
Jezz wrote:
SteveL wrote:
prisons ? do you actually have any snakes or are you here to stir up some kind of arguments ? <this is just a few observations i have made from your recent posts on this forum and it is not intended to cause any row ...

do you keep a dog in a house(prison) or a budgy in a prison

or anything for that matter?

We are in prisons if you think that way lets face it most of us spend a lot of time in our houses(prisons)

Confused

Look at my sig..yes I do, and always thought nothing wrong with keeping CB animals.

But a discussion yesterday got me thinking. I always thought it was cruel to take animals from the wild and stick them in tubs/vivs (thats just my opinion) but thought there was nothing much wrong with CB. Now after the discussion yesterday, it got me thinking twice. As an owner of all the reptiles in my sig (and if you read my first post correctly.. Rolling Eyes ) I was just interested to see what people who are against WC thought and how they would defend themselves against the argument of whether we should keep and reps if we disagree with WC???

Hope that clears it up for you love. Seems from the post's I've read of yours that your the only one here who's trying to stir. I'm just interested in the opinions of like minded REPTILE OWNERS.

I dont stirr things up i tend to say things how they are Laughing

You made the comment about prison ,To me if you feel there in prisons then maybe your in the wrong hobby altogether .The wc subject is an old long winded debate that has been done to death .They will obviously feel a little bit miffed going from the wild to a small plastic tub or whatever..
But then again they do not have the same brain power as MOST of us have so will get over it after they get fed a few times without them having to hunt etc etc

i made no error in the way i ready your post either Laughing Icurrently keep 40 odd snakes in prison here Razz

SEEMS you have read my post in error hun. Somebody made a valid opinion to me last night and put an idea in my mind that I've never had till right then. Which is why this thread has been started. If you want to carry this silly childish argument on please PM. However, I hope to see some posts related to the topic that is if you get further than the first post without misreading Laughing

I'd also like to add I feel I'm more than qualified to ask these questions and request opinions seeing as I've kept reptiles for years and still do, but in this hobby there is always hard questions you come across, and if none of them has ever wondered through your mind and stuck for maybe a few hours then it makes me wonder how many people here are capable of taking on the challenge of a new opinion and question that is otherwise left unanswered. I've have took this challenge full on hun and want to find those opinions without the pure poo that can come from certain mouths.

2.1.0 Python Regius
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.0.1 Lampropeltis getulus californiae
1.0.0 Pantherophis guttata guttata
0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius
0.1.0 Testudo hermanni
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea
Jezz
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: jesus can people read? Reply with quote

SteveL wrote:
Jezz wrote:
SteveL wrote:
prisons ? do you actually have any snakes or are you here to stir up some kind of arguments ? <this is just a few observations i have made from your recent posts on this forum and it is not intended to cause any row ...

do you keep a dog in a house(prison) or a budgy in a prison

or anything for that matter?

We are in prisons if you think that way lets face it most of us spend a lot of time in our houses(prisons)

Confused

Look at my sig..yes I do, and always thought nothing wrong with keeping CB animals.

But a discussion yesterday got me thinking. I always thought it was cruel to take animals from the wild and stick them in tubs/vivs (thats just my opinion) but thought there was nothing much wrong with CB. Now after the discussion yesterday, it got me thinking twice. As an owner of all the reptiles in my sig (and if you read my first post correctly.. Rolling Eyes ) I was just interested to see what people who are against WC thought and how they would defend themselves against the argument of whether we should keep and reps if we disagree with WC???

Hope that clears it up for you love. Seems from the post's I've read of yours that your the only one here who's trying to stir. I'm just interested in the opinions of like minded REPTILE OWNERS.

I dont stirr things up i tend to say things how they are Laughing

You made the comment about prison ,To me if you feel there in prisons then maybe your in the wrong hobby altogether .The wc subject is an old long winded debate that has been done to death .They will obviously feel a little bit miffed going from the wild to a small plastic tub or whatever..
But then again they do not have the same brain power as MOST of us have so will get over it after they get fed a few times without them having to hunt etc etc

i made no error in the way i ready your post either Laughing Icurrently keep 40 odd snakes in prison here Razz

SEEMS you have read my post in error hun. Somebody made a valid opinion to me last night and put an idea in my mind that I've never had till right then. Which is why this thread has been started. If you want to carry this silly childish argument on please PM. However, I hope to see some posts related to the topic that is if you get further than the first post without misreading Laughing

I'd also like to add I feel I'm more than qualified to ask these questions and request opinions seeing as I've kept reptiles for years and still do, but in this hobby there is always hard questions you come across, and if none of them has ever wondered through your mind and stuck for maybe a few hours then it makes me wonder how many people here are capable of taking on the challenge of a new opinion and question that is otherwise left unanswered. I've have took this challenge full on hun and want to find those opinions without the pure poo that can come from certain mouths.

The thing you said about brain power interests me alot. Does it really bother these animals as long as given as much space as they need, and cared for proply, if they are in captivity or not? I know no one can say for sure, but are their brains capable of noticing this difference long term then to go on and cause some sort of physcological suffering (even with a small brain)

2.1.0 Python Regius
0.1.0 Testudo hermanni
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea
lizard man
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, went and had a shower and come back to all this.

What Stuart said was what i was trying to get across with my little gecko story, should have made a conclusion at the end of it.

But my piece is CB snakes don't know any different - I'm sure given the chance they would adapt to living in the wild very well as they don't "tame" as other animals might, they are always going to have that feeding response when a fluffy little thing walks past it.

And like mentioned earlier a wild animal taken as a pet and having everything it needs put in front of it sounds like a dream. Water, Shelter, Food, Stress free environment for the most, Safe from harm and be able to Mate if the own gets a second one Wink
Being put in a viv or "prison" puts the animals mind at rest for the most.

Steve
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief im out of this one you seem to be arguing with your own mind ...
yawn Laughing

jezz wrote:
I dont understand SteveL's sarcasm dohhh
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that there's a big difference in WC to CB in terms of keeping them in captivity, IF they are set up correctly i.e. food, temps, correct environment etc.

Reptiles are pretty low down the ladder and don't require the mental simulation that mammals and birds do. Everything a reptile does is pretty much for the purpose of surviving, not fun or to cure boredom.

Yes there's a few exceptions like green iguanas and some of the large monitors but that's due to the large areas they normally roam in the wild and overall even CB animals show the same signs of wanting to wander further than the 4 walls of their cages (no matter how big they are).

Do I think wc should be imported and sold, YES & NO, many species aren't suited to captivity and there are many better CB species available but I think a little better selection by the importers would cure that.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to say that obviously there will be parasite problems with WC but I don't your referring to that side are you Jess?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Jezz
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Scott, thats a whole different story for another day Laughing

I think just with the opinion and question fired back (which I found unable to answer) it actually got me wandering, I always thought WC animals and the way its usually done was abit cruel, but wondered was I being hipercritical? If that makes sense.

I soppose your right Scott, snakes and many other reps are alot different to many other animals we could argue the case with (ie the keeping of birds in cages etc) which I fully disagree with because they don't get everything they need mostly space that snakes mostly do.

I'm not very knowledgable on how the given reptile brain is and just wondered whether being kept in captivity (kept right of course though) could still cause any physcological stress as its proven to say birds (a completely different animal I know but its for an example) by plucking feathers etc and I think its pretty much answered questions I had. So thanks Scott Wink

2.1.0 Python Regius
0.1.0 Testudo hermanni
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I read a book about breeding different species of snakes. It was an old book and stated that several of the kinds of snakes that are now bred in captivity on a regular basis could not ( at that time ) be bred in captivity, but that work was going on to try to breed them.

Seems to me that we as a reptile community have learned now how to care for these different species, and they are now happily breeding away merrily Wink Until conditions were corrected and set-ups sorted, the snakes were unhappy and would not breed.

The old saying 'proof of the pudding is in the eating' seems appropriate to me - reptiles feed and breed when they are happy Very Happy

Just popping into the reptile room to see how the hatching eggs are getting on.... Cool Laughing
Jezz
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats some very good points.

Its the old 'thriving or surviving' thing. I think proof comes when reptiles (that are breedable) breed, then I guess thats the kinda measurment that they are happy and content.

I hope so any way Laughing

2.1.0 Python Regius
0.1.0 Testudo hermanni
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea
Lynne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just found this, dont know how i missed it.
in my opinion, taking a snake from the wild to live in captivity, is as bad as taking an elephant or a lion. both these animals would slowly go mad if taken from a vast area and placed in a tiny enclosure.
prisons are there to punish people. what have wc snakes ever done in order to be punished. cb's have never lived wild, so dont know wild. cb snakes are probably quite happy to integrate with us. wc would be a differant matter i would assume. or we would all have much more bites and scars than we do.
and jezz, you will always get folk who are only there to stir things, and they tend to try and make people asking interesting questions, look ridiculas. in the end they only make themselves look stupid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: