Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

to move or not
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brew
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: to move or not Reply with quote

My young panther is now about 2 inches from nose to vent and around 3 and a half months old. He's currently in a 1' x 1' x 1' exo terra, I was wondering should he now be moved up to his 1.5' x 1.5' x 2' exo terra or leave him a bit longer. He's eating really well but was a little concerned he won't be able to get the crickets in his bigger viv yet?
Any thoughts please.
ClactonJoe
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Brew.

You know I moved mine into his 18 x 18 x 36 Terry Thatcher a while ago.
Well, I find he has no trouble eating as he just waits for the crickets to move about. I have food in his viv for the crickets incase he doesn't find them for a while so they can still eat ok. He seems to be eating and pooing well so I would say make the change also.
Mine also started of in an 18 x 18 x 24 exo and he was ok in there.

I did find that when I switched him over there was a load of crickets hiding in the back wall of his exo viv. I tried to blank off all the little vent hole but them damn crickets will hid anywere. If you can take out the back wall I think it would mean that they couldn't hide so well and he would have more chance of finding them.

Now you have one more problem....
Just what do you put in the 12 x 12 x 12 exo now?
Best you go looking for more reptiles this weekend. I see another zoo coming on...

Go-on Have a Look...
http://www.mycampage.com/chameleon
Lynne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aint it great when you get an empty viv/tub? any pics???
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you what I tried out with my female Yemen when she was tiny and in a rather large exo-terra... I made a feeding platform for her. I cut up little pieces of dowel rod and bound them together which ended up looking like a little mini wooden scaffold, made sure all the ends were safe, then I put a plastic tub in the top of it. The original point was to put any waxworms I offered her in it so they didn't bury themselves and so they were nice and high up for her to grab but I found that any crickets I dropped in there by accident used to stay in there for some reason, even though it was less than 2 ins deep and they could easily have hopped out! I didn't keep it in there for too long as, obviously I wanted her to hunt and get the exercise while doing so, but it definitely worked while she was little and the crickets were sometimes a bit hard for her to find!

0.1.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
1.0 Python regius
1.0 Xenopus laevis
4.0 Hyla cinerea
0.0.4 Litoria cearulea
0.0.1 Varanus exanthematicus
1.1 Chameleo calyptratus
Brew
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClactonJoe wrote:
Hello Brew.

You know I moved mine into his 18 x 18 x 36 Terry Thatcher a while ago.
Well, I find he has no trouble eating as he just waits for the crickets to move about. I have food in his viv for the crickets incase he doesn't find them for a while so they can still eat ok. He seems to be eating and pooing well so I would say make the change also.
Mine also started of in an 18 x 18 x 24 exo and he was ok in there.

HI Jo, I think yours was a little bigger than mine is now, hard to remember though. I suppose I could try and if not move him back, don't think he wold like that though. Once he finds all the extra space I reckon he would get well grumpy going back into the squat.
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give him a go Brew, but take the wall out as joe says the crix just hide behind the dam things.
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand it's best to put stones on top of the soil of the plants pots, to stop the Cham getting any bits he shouldn't, will the crickets not simply go under the stones? As it is in his small viv, I remove all crickets at the end of the day (that way I can keep a count on how many he's eating) In the bigger one do I just put extra in, and leave them at the end of the day?
This reminds me of when my daughter was ready to go from a cot to a bed, bloody frightening lol
Thanks again for all your advice
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used stones ontop of the plants Brew Embarassed infact Vinney used to eat the dirt from being very small, some say its a deficiency and they eat the dirt to replace what they need, who knows Very Happy it hasnt done him any harm at all. I wouldnt leave loads of crix in with him they may stress him out, have you tried pot feeding him? at least then you can remove what he hasnt eaten.
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some large stones ontop of the soil as I planted the viv out totally in the base.
I find the crickets do hide under the stones but they do come out and he hunts them down then. There is never that many in there as he is on bigger crickets now. They no longer fit in his mouth anymore. I leave the couple or so in there as I feel sure in the wild his food would be around him. I do keep checking to make sure they are not attacking him.
He does seem to like the morning prowl before his lights come on.
I never worried about how many he ate as long as he was pooing fine. No trouble in finding that.

As for your viv size. My first one was the same size you are going into. 18 x 18 x 24. It is bloody massive at first but he will love the extra room but don't forget I was totally artificial in this set up. Just a wire frame with the plastic plants. Loads less places for the food to hide except for that dam foam wall backdrop.

Go-on Have a Look...
http://www.mycampage.com/chameleon
Brew
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments, I guess it's time to try him then! I'll move him over tomorra night after work and see how he goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: