Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live Feeding Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumblebee wrote:
is that really a way to get them to eat??? i mean the chickensoup and tuna ect.ect?? i can't believe that an animal that in nature feeds on small rodents is gonna be tempted to eat because of the smell of soup or fish!! i believe it's just the rite timing they are hunfry at that point and tehy eat and the people think th it's coz of teh soup?? anyhoo i would leave the little one well alone fot at least 2 weeks before trying again and try to get live feed Wink

oh it works bumblebee. not on every snake but some take. but as stated, some of mine will eat rats and yet offer them a mouse and they recoil in horror. its worth trying everything before live feeding.

what weight and age is she?

and to show the diff between snakes of same age, i have 3 from same clutch, one, nala weighs nearly 1000 grams, another, kya is now sitting at around 500 grams, and ora, still hasnt reached 200 grams. they are all from same clutch. only nala is a great feeder, kya is now, and ora is a nightmare.
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
bumblebee wrote:
is that really a way to get them to eat??? i mean the chickensoup and tuna ect.ect?? i can't believe that an animal that in nature feeds on small rodents is gonna be tempted to eat because of the smell of soup or fish!! i believe it's just the rite timing they are hunfry at that point and tehy eat and the people think th it's coz of teh soup?? anyhoo i would leave the little one well alone fot at least 2 weeks before trying again and try to get live feed Wink

oh it works bumblebee. not on every snake but some take. but as stated, some of mine will eat rats and yet offer them a mouse and they recoil in horror. its worth trying everything before live feeding.

what weight and age is she?

and to show the diff between snakes of same age, i have 3 from same clutch, one, nala weighs nearly 1000 grams, another, kya is now sitting at around 500 grams, and ora, still hasnt reached 200 grams. they are all from same clutch. only nala is a great feeder, kya is now, and ora is a nightmare.

well you know my idea in live feeding, i don't see it like that. i mean why would it be worth to try everything before live feeding, fot whom will it be worth everything?? i have 2 baby royals they differ 2 days in age (they are 2 months now) one of them is 172grams and feeding like a madwomen. the second one is feeding less and weighs in at 70grams. so it is totally possible to have 1 snake of the same age to be so different in weight and in feeding habits Wink i personally think that you'll do what it takes for the little one to eat, and for baby royals that means live feed for most of the time
0.5 Royal Python
0.1 Royal Python Spider
1.0 Royal Python Jungle Pastel (Graziani)
1.0 Royal Python Mojave
0.2 Royal Python Labyrinth
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think in countries where live feeding is normal its easy to get live food. over here, were its normal to feed defrost, its harder to get live prey. so once you get them feeding, you want to try getting them onto defrost as soon as poss. cause defrost is widely available.
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda resembles how u were talkin about coiling up in fear from mice, any time I put the mouse infront of her face she seemed to come away from it and always tried slithering round it.
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try rats josh. or another thing i have noticed is, they will also recoil if the prey is too big, so you could try smaller. if you are tryin g medium, then try small etc etc.
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wht shud i offer thts smaller thn a small mouse or whts the equivalent of tht as a rat?
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rat pup i would say. or mouse fuzzy. are they on small mice at minute?
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ye
Jezz
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't feed live. I wouldn't even think about it after two weeks!

Apart from the fact some snakes may take a little longer to settle in than two weeks, the stress of constantly having mice/rats shoved in there with her will stress her out.

The more i tried to feed my fussy feeder (Kurt) the more he refused and seemed stressed. When I left it while, he took without hesitation.
Try wiggling it gently (in about a week or so, i'd leave her without offering anything till then) then trying moving it in a diagonal line towards the side of her head (works for one of mine) and try leaving them wet (some of mine will not take a mouse that is dry) I think it makes the scent stronger.

If this fails (and keep trying, took me an hour to get one of my royals feeding once) try leaving it half in and half out of her hide, in a dark, VERY quiet place with little disturbance overnight.

Some will on ly strike feed, some won't take unless its still. My corn starved himself for about 8-12 months and wasn't interested at all when I offered him but 20 mins later i got him to take, and this week he's striking and coiling!!

Just be sure to give her 7-10 days rest without offering food, as believe it or not I think this can add to the stress when just getting used to a new home.

Good luck (:

2.1.0 Python Regius
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.0.1 Lampropeltis getulus californiae
1.0.0 Pantherophis guttata guttata
0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius
0.1.0 Testudo hermanni
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea

Last edited by Jezz on Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a rat pup or mouse fuzzy. heat the head really hot and try her with that. if she looks interested keep reheating the head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: