Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live Feeding Question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josh_j_mcg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Live Feeding Question Reply with quote

I got 2 Royals nearly 2 weeks ago now, and while one of them has fed like a monster, feeding on a small mouse every 5 days within 5 secs of opening the tub, the other isnt interested at all.

I first tried feeding her and she gave about 3 flickers then started to move away from the mouse (defrost). Then I reheated, squeezed the head a bit and still had no reaction, the snake looked as if it wasnt interested. I then tried again yesterday which was a week later and this time no response whatsoever, not even looking at it, flicking the tongue etc.

However my other one is a monster, he took it within 5 secs at first attempt then yesterday while feeding the other my sister was handling him and his tongue was going crazy. I put him back in his tub and offered a mouse and he took it straight away, not even hesitating.

I have been offering and feeding defrost small mice so I havent moved to live for the non feeder yet, so Im looking for some advice.

Is it worth feeding live? I wouldnt decide to attempt to resort to this so quick but she isnt interested at all, and I tried everything. The temps, humidity etc is all fine and she is very comfortable by the looks of things.

Where can I get live mice from? Should I get them from the pet store or does anyone know where I can find local breeders who would possibly sell them?

Ive read into the risks and would be very careful with live feeding, I wish she would feed on defrost but I just want her to eat Sad She looks thin now compared to the other one as shes growing fast.

Any advice would be appreciated

PS Im from Glasgow, Scotland if that helps incase anyone knows where to find mouse breeders etc
chrislewis6563
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi just got to ask have you tried rat pups because I have got one female that one week she will only eat mice and then the next week she will only eat rat pup's Shocked you could give rat pup's a try before going into live feeding.
josh_j_mcg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think rat pups are maybe too big, the Royals are only 3 months old
chrislewis6563
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi you can start royals on rat pup's from the start, my little female is only 150grams.
Rad
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know if he has fed before you got him , and what on
bumblebee
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my royal of 2 months old feed's on nearly full term mice. the other one feeds much less than her, she feeding every 4 days while the other one only takes every 8 to 10 days. if rat pups don't work you can try a gerbil pup royals love them or a baby hamster! but think you might have to consider the live feeding option, coz mine only feed on live
0.5 Royal Python
0.1 Royal Python Spider
1.0 Royal Python Jungle Pastel (Graziani)
1.0 Royal Python Mojave
0.2 Royal Python Labyrinth
josh_j_mcg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fed before me on small defrost mice.

So can a 3 month old royal take rat pups?
Where is the best place to get live mice/rats?
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your snakes should take rat pups no problem. and if you have only had them 2 weeks, its not a long time, she may still be settling in. they are all differant.and one may settle quicker than another might.

have you brained/heated/tried diff rodents. tried chicken soup/tuna oil etc etc
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tried diff rodents but heated up head etc, its wht I do wif the feeder anyway.

I'll go petshop after work tomorrow and try gettin rat pups and see if that helps, it just doesnt help my worrying when shes really thin compared to the other lol
bumblebee
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that really a way to get them to eat??? i mean the chickensoup and tuna ect.ect?? i can't believe that an animal that in nature feeds on small rodents is gonna be tempted to eat because of the smell of soup or fish!! i believe it's just the rite timing they are hunfry at that point and tehy eat and the people think th it's coz of teh soup?? anyhoo i would leave the little one well alone fot at least 2 weeks before trying again and try to get live feed Wink
0.5 Royal Python
0.1 Royal Python Spider
1.0 Royal Python Jungle Pastel (Graziani)
1.0 Royal Python Mojave
0.2 Royal Python Labyrinth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: