Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super black heads/Handling and probing discussion!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ i hope you dont mind me using your sig.

Everyone has an opinion ,So when they express it and you don't like it take it for what it is
JUST AN OPINION

and its a public forum. here for people to voice opinions.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kioka wrote:
I was referring to the double-standard that the guy with the grassnake received.

Quite frankly, it is a stupid way to pick up any snake by the tail. Sure, praise Steve Irwin for his snake handling, but a lot of the venomous handlers would tell you that Mr. Irwin relies mostly on luck when handling King Browns like that as several people demonstrated why it is not a good idea to handle them by the tail. But that is a different issue entirely. Sorry about going off track here, but a lot of people like to cite Steve Irwin when field-herping. He is a television star... not a well-respected herpetologist -- nothing more; most professionals don't recognize him anyway.

The ONLY people I can think of that handle snakes by the tails are people with dangerous constrictors or potentially dangerous constrictors -- have control of the tail, and it's easier to get out of trouble if one ever get into trouble. But people who own those are far and few on the northern side of the pond here.

People handle their snakes differently. Get over it, move on. People love to bicker about every little details on hobby forums nowaday. Yes, Ralph was not respecting their bodies, but you know what? "You think crying about it on a public forum going to change it? He is a private snake breeder, not a politician or a corporate elite. His fame is not going to change, unless he engaged in illegal activities. And quite frankly, he won't care even if he came across this thread.

From my experiences, people always underestimate the hardiness of reptiles and their strengths. I have never heard of anyone snapping a snake's spine by picking them up. In fact, in virtually all the cases, severing the spine usually occur when the person abuse the snake by thrashing them against another object or throwing the object at the snake.

God, people like to create more drama than needed in the hobby these days...

Wwho's praising Steve Irwin..the only praise I would give him is putting his life on the line to educate as he has done many times (as is proven now) and for the conservation efforts hes made.

And your are being dramatic. Who is crying Dave?

Forums, (incase you didn't realise) are for just this. Opinions, and discussing them.

If you don't like people discussing their opinions and discussing things in general then a forum is not the place you should be.

On msn you said to me you saw nothing wrong in the way he was handling them, now you say he wasn't respecting their bodies..thats drama to me..and your adding to it when the thread has gone dry..

2.1.0 Python Regius
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.0.1 Lampropeltis getulus californiae
1.0.0 Pantherophis guttata guttata
0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius
0.1.0 Testudo hermanni
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea
Jezz
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'll add i don't give a 'poo' how hardy a snake is.
There is no need to handle them in a way i think is rough just because they are hardy. Two days out of the egg and jusitfy it because they are hardy? Hmm nahh Don't agree there..

Theres no harm in giving a 'hardy' animal (not the most hardy snakes I would say anyway..) abit of time to adjust..

Oh yeah, this is my opinion, take it or leave it. Call it dramatic..because I honestly couldn't give a toss Laughing Rant to me on msn, whatever, because like I said, a forum is not a place you should be if you don't like opinions, discussion, or sometimes the odd drama.

Oh jeez where do you get your fun in life Rolling Eyes Laughing

2.1.0 Python Regius
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.0.1 Lampropeltis getulus californiae
1.0.0 Pantherophis guttata guttata
0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius
0.1.0 Testudo hermanni
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea
Kioka
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urgh... didn't means this to turn into a debate. I apologize.

Jezz had her opinion, why should it take the topic in a different direction over such a minor detail (as observed in subsequent posts afterward)? That's all I am saying. She disagreed, so what? Doesn't make her superior or inferior to Ralph. Everyone handles their snakes differently, regardless of their experiences, and it is okay to disagree with another herpeoculturist. So what if Ralph had more experience than another person? Everyone have their ways (as long it is not causing distress to the animal or endangering people.) But again, everything is threatening to a hatchling, even if you ARE handling them gently.

Original poster just wanted to show how nice those Super Blackheads are. They are really nice though.
royalpython
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh deary me.

how did this happen?

Laughing - i really don't know what else to say!!

www.masterpeaceartwork.com
rachel132002
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royals are very resilient and go through a lot worse than that, consider when they're bulk packed in shipments say from africa they aren't namby pambied they're chucked literally into bags be it africa/america/europe/uk and moved about, ok maybe it doesn't look so great but even if the snake is loose change value to a breeder its still stock to look after so they won't do anything harmful to it...

Rach

Ps. Chris you work with some luurrvveelllyyy men, do you need a work experience girl at all? lol
2 BCC
2 JCP
2 Leos
1 Beardy
2 Cresties
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever. all our opinions differ. and we aint gonna change each others. so best let it lie.

the snakes are gorgeous.
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are more forgiving than people think, but i really cant see anything wrong with what Ralph has done there.

If i take a photo, i tend to give them a bit of gentle persuasion sometimes to get a good photo (even if i am crap at photography). It doesn't affect them what so ever.

I find it quite funny how some people view themselves so highly with self importance

Quote:
There is no need to handle them in a way i think is rough just because they are hardy

You're idea of rough, is not rough, you might not agree, but hey...

Quote:
Oh yeah, this is my opinion, take it or leave it. Call it dramatic..because I honestly couldn't give a toss Rant to me on msn, whatever, because like I said, a forum is not a place you should be if you don't like opinions, discussion, or sometimes the odd drama.

Right back at ya Wink

Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

am sorry folks but i think jezz is entitled to her opinion here. and i agree with her. i had three headshy snakes, one so headshy she wouldnt eat, one so headshy she flew for your face every time the lid was taken off, and one im working with at the minute. you know what gets them ok again to be handled, gentle handling.
respect other folk have opinions, and they probably will all be differant from yours.
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 head shy snakes... were they badly man handled before?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 4 of 21

Jump to: